I'm going to be building some Miller style hive top feeders. I've found 2 styles that interest me. One is the type with the slot in the center with a compartment on each side like the plans on this site. The other style has the slot at the front of the feeder with a single, larger, compartment like the BeeMax feeders. The BeeMax type would be easier and cheaper to construct, but does it have any downsides? Does the single sided access for bees to feed at limit them? Does the non-centered entrance make it harded for bees to feed in cooler weather? Other comments?

Thanks,

Ryan

I like the looks of the mann lake insert that goes in the shallow supers. It's in the center and the plastic is waterproof.

>I like the looks of the mann lake insert that goes in the shallow supers. It's in the center and the plastic is waterproof.

I have been useing the ones with the opening on the end that has the screen wire over it to keep the bees from flying out and limiting them to a small area to float in. I always thought that if it were in the center that the bees could access it much easier especially in the cooler temperatures.

I have bought some of the Mann Lake plastic inserts just for that reason, well, I also needed more anyway. I just got the inserts and made my own boxes. One word of warning, if you are going to build your own boxes, make sure that the boards are flat. Half of mine had to be remade because they were warped.

I like mine, it's very cheap and very simple. It won't drown bees and it won't let bees fly in your face. http://www.beemaster.com/beebbs/viewtopic.php?t=455
    I like the looks of the Mann Lake feeders but I have one question: are they divided along the long axis (end to end) or along the short axis (side to side)? Some feeders that are divided along the short axis leave a portion of the syrup out of reach when the hive is tilted forward.
    George

>are they divided along the long axis (end to end)

Yes

Now this will baffle you but I do things a bit strange. I'm in Florida, our bees are in Kentucky and are doing well. How do I know, well I flew home and looked, now if anything is crazy, that is but we will be home this month for the summer. Now, the Miller feeder with the center slot is great if you build it right. Make sure that the screen is made so that the girls can not get past it. I soldered the sides etc. and now they are doing it right. Then, be sure that the inner cover is completely flat on the underside. I used a conventional one and had a few drownings. The one I made, and I use now,is flush, has little windows in it and little slide gates so it can be filled on both sides using a funnel as my neighbor who is afraid of them but will feed if needed while we are in the sun here in Florida. The bees stay below the inner cover. All sounds crazy, and it is, but it works. The Miller double sided feeder was fun to build but it has to be done with reasonable precision and good resin coating in the reservoirs. Have fun!

I like the ones with the opening in the center. You can get a deep level of syrup in the feeder even if you only fill one end (when you don't need to feed so much). You could also use one side for syrup and the other for pollen perhaps???

I used mine once to have the bees clean the cappings wax without starting an outdoor frenzy. They did a nice job.

That's a good idea!

Question to mattoleriver:

Where did you find the pans so cheap? I've looked at 4 stores (including wally world) and they are all $9-$14 each.

>Where did you find the pans so cheap? I've looked at 4 stores (including wally world) and they are all $9-$14 each.

wfarler,
    I got mine at the local second hand store, I bought three of 'em for $8. There was a stack of about 20 pans all priced $2-$3 each. Look for a one piece pan and it's best if it doesn't have a lip at the top of the cone shaped center piece. The paper clip holds the screen in place better if there is no lip. If you already have a pan in the kitchen go ahead and use it, the pan is not modified in any way and can be returned to the kitchen after feeding season has passed.
    George