Anybody have a favorite solar powered fence that they like for their bee yards?

I use a $99 unit I picked up at tractor supply, it's 'rated' for 3 miles of fence. works fine.

I'm only trying to keep out horses, not bears, but I bought a solar powered one from TSC that was the highest rated one they had (for miles of fence) because the weeds and grass grow up and short it out and the dumb horses have gotten into the bees about three times now. The stronger ones tend to work even with a bit of weeds touching it.

I'm using a Parmak solar powered 12v unit. So far, no issues (it's only 1 yr old). It's rated at 9k/volts output. I also use partially cooked bacon wrapped in foil to remind the bears that that this is not the place to find a pleasurable experience. I'm just waiting for the day I forget to turn it off before entering. I know it just a matter of time.

My chargers sit inside the yard in an old hive.So to get in I have to open the gate(4 or 5 wires w/spring closures).At least a couple times a year I will be in too big a hurry and get a taste of what the bear feels.It isnt pleasant.

Your right Mike, the basic solar charged models won't burn the weeds for you.

I use Parmak, both house current and battery types. Both types are high impedance and will continue to put out a good shock even thru wet weeds. About the only thing that shuts them down is a direct short to ground thru a metal fence post or a bad ground rod.

If you have a charger that you think is not doing what it should, check and double your ground rod. Make certain it goes to damp soil and that the connection to it is bright and conductive. This is critical.

Now, I want to second M. Bush's foil wrapped bacon suggestion. I do the same for deer, using peanut butter smeared on foil hanging from the fence. Deer will absolutely destroy young fruit trees.

Ox

The bacon wasn't my idea, although I may have repeated it somewhere. Fortunately, I've never had to deal with bears.

Around 20 years ago,I had a problem with birds eating the bacon off the wires,so I rolled up hardware cloth tubes (open ended)and wired them to the hot wires.I called them "weenie cages"Haha.You can put a raw hot dog or shove bacon in them.

Loggermike:

I will steal that good idea. I really like that one. Good for cats, dogs, coyotes, etc.
    Ox