Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bee-O-Sphere

You still need the same conditions for comb honey production as before

1.Good honey flow
    2.full of bees,
    3.and the comb honey super being the only place they can go.

The bees like the plastic as far as plastic goes so if they are not going into the super it just means that some where you are missing one of the three conditions

>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >You still need the same conditions for comb honey production as before
    >1.Good honey flow

I am on my last leg of the yellow clover but there is still lots of forraging left.

>2.full of bees,

Herein lies part of the problem, they were so crowded one of the hives if not both swarmed.

>3.and the comb honey super being the only place they can go.

And I need to remove the other supers that are filled but not capped.

>The bees like the plastic as far as plastic goes so if they are not going into the super it just means that some where you are missing one of the three conditions

Thanks for the help, I'll make some changes next weekend, I think there is still time, I hope.

Big Grin

My Bee-O-Pacs came in time for the Basswood flow, here in the next few weeks. I ordered thru the phone from BetterBee on 5/26 - so 9 days, not bad.
    I put one together and it didnt seem too hard to get the two pieces together, i pulled off the little round hole punch before crimping with the pliers.
    They are cute little things - I hope they sell well, I thing I'll giving some away to some of my "better" customers.
    How many supers are you all doing, I'm just doing one (eight frames).
    I like that they send a recent newspaper with every order, I just wish they wouldn't wrinkle it up so bad when they put in the box. lol
    Deanna

Well, mine came, but I haven't figuree out how to get the two halves together. I got two boxes. One of lids and one of the frames. But other than the two kinds (halves) of the frames I there are no other pieces. Are there supposed to be some kind of pins that hold them together? There are no instructions, but printed the ones on the web site. Still it says:

"To assemble the two frame halves: take a frame half with the buttons and lay it on the table with the plugs pointing up. Place the other half with the holes on top of the first half so that the buttons fit through the holes. Push down on the top frame to hold everything in place. With a pair of square nose pliers, crimp the two halves together at each button/hole combination, by crimping the buttons and forming a rivet through each hole. Push up with the bottom plier jaw to make sure the button is completely through the hole before crimping the button."

So is this just squashing the plastic piece from the other half that protrudes through the hole?

Pictures would be a BIG help.

Hi Michael
    look up a little on this thread there is a post from Sperlich (dated May 28 at 11:51pm) he is from the manufacturer Bee O Sphere.
    I popped out the hole punches before i put the two pieces together and crimped. It did take a little more time doing that but i thought that they crimped together much easier.
    Those "bubbled" out tabs are the things that will hold the two pieces together but its important to make sure the two side are together for the most part before smashing the "bubble". If they dont crimp together use a needle nose plier and pop the bubble back out and try crimping again. I had to do this to about 3 of the bubbles.

As for pictures look at the manufacturers website beeosphere.com , mine didnt come with directions from Better Bee so im glad i knew how to put them together!

Also if you didnt read from a post from before, when putting in the last 'frame' use a piece of cardboard to hold the next-to-last frame aside so the side tabs wont hit and the last frame will slide right in.

How many are you trying out? I only bought enough for 1 super, I'll probably be wishing i did more. Good luck!
    Deanna

Sad

Another week and they still have not touched them

Thanks for the tips. I got them on the hives yesterday.

On May 5th I put a super of Bee O Pacs on each of 2 hives sitting next to each other. Just checked them late today. One hive has not touched them, the other has just about filled them out with the exception of the outer most sections (those facing the wall of the super). The plastic sections are crammed in the super so tight I don't think the bees can access the sections facing the wall. Anyone else starting to see results?

On May 5th I put a super of Bee O Pacs on each of 2 hives sitting next to each other. Just checked them late today. One hive has not touched them, the other has just about filled them out with the exception of the outer most sections (those facing the wall of the super). The plastic sections are crammed in the super so tight I don't think the bees can access the sections facing the wall. Anyone else starting to see results?

They finnaly came just a few days after I called and checked on them. I do hope other venders will carry them next year (and I'll be sure to order early).

First impressions: The two halves go together just fine and relatively quickly using a small pair of pliers to smash the tabs. I can definately see some advantage over cleaning frames and installing wax. Fit in the super isn't the best, but I don't think it will pose a real problem. They are just a bit tall and a bit too wide (1/4") to fit 8 in the super I used. The super was just a bit narrower than standard measuring 6 5/8" tall by 16 1/8" wide.

Still because they are flexable I don't think the hight will cause a problem. And since they fit medium I only placed 6 in the box with two frames of normal drawn comb on the outside positions. Hopefully this will help attract bees into the super and will eliminate any problems with poorly drawn sections on the outside. They will go on with the basswood flow.

Has anyone had any experience marketing the filled squares?
    Anxious to hear about public acceptance at the prices touted?

I just pulled a super of the bee-O-Pac's. All of the sections that were filled were capped, however most sections were not completely filled (approx 10% completely filled, 50% were filled to 90%+, 30% were filled to 80-90%, 5% were filled to 70-80% and 5% were less than 70% filled). I need to learn to manage bees better for comb honey production.

On another note, the lids do not have a very positive snap lock fit with the base. I ordred some shrink bands from betterbee to see if they will help hold the lids on better. The comb sections are now in the freezer for a couple of days, then I'll label and shrink band them, then off to the farm market.

Oh, I sampled the honey, it was THE BEST EVER.

[This message has been edited by Sungold (edited June 21, 2004).]

Lightbulb

Good news! I have my Bee-O-Pacs ready for next year. It's been six weeks and they still haven't touched them.

I'm afraid comb honey production requires crowding the bees. A cut down split is the normal method for doing this where much of the brood (all but one box anyway) is removed to a split and all the field bees are forced up into the supers.

MB,

Next year, next year I'm going to do the cut down split thing. I've been reading the Comb Honey Basics (Taylor) booklet. Hey, every year I learn a bit more. I'm really enjoying this.

On a related note, my daughter (13) called me a work yesterday and asked if she could give her friend a section of comb honey. (they had stopped back at our house for lunch & her friend asked; what are those things?). I told her sure. During dinner my daughter told me that her friend "really" liked the comb honey. After lunch, as they walked back down to the lake, they ate it out of the container with their fingers (they finished it on the way). - thought to myself, isn't it great to be 13...life is good!

[This message has been edited by Sungold (edited June 26, 2004).]

>>>I'm afraid comb honey production requires crowding the bees. A cut down split is the normal method for doing this where much of the brood (all but one box anyway) is removed to a split and all the field bees are forced up into the supers.

probably best to use an excluder than right??

I don't personally know any comb honey producers that use excluders. Queens seldom want to lay in a small box they want a big open brood nest and the excluder tends to be a "honey excluder".

Big Grin

we got our bee o pacs toda and are going to put them on today and see how they work i have noticed that they are very flimsy oh well.

when i was putting them in the super out in the yard some of the tabs came apart and i couldnt get them "popped" back together. Luckily i had my duck tape with me, i have the tape to keep the bees out of my suit, some day i'll sew it

------------------
    "The secret of life is not to do what you like, but to like what you do. God promises a safe landing, not a calm passage."

- Author Unknown -

my bees have yet to fill them but i'll definately sell for the price they suggest, $3.00, or try for $4

this will be my first yr selling comb honey, i plan on giving away one to the "better" customers

i do believe mine will have Basswood honey in them, the bees are practically full strength and Basswood is real soon, i only bought 8 of them (1 super full), i'll probably regret it when i run out of some to sell
    hopefully they do sell that good and i'll buy more next yr, or i could get more for this fall, Goldenrod (but it tends to crystalize SO fast)

i'll just have to have some patients, i hope most everyone elses is doing ok
    Deanna

------------------
    "Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man's growth without destroying his roots."

- Frank A. Clark -

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast