Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bee-O-Sphere

We drifted to the bee-o-pac in the Honey forum so I thought I would post this here too.

My outside sections were never being filled so I went to move the outside frames to the center and just decided to harvest 4 of the frames. I moved the unfilled outside frames to the center and filled the remaining space with standard frames.
    I didn't have any problems with the frames coming apart while removing them (with a little care) and I thoroughly enjoyed the harvest/packaging process. It went super smoothly. The precut perforations separate from the rest of the "frame" easily. The lids provide more than enough clearance in case the bees draw the sections out too far, which is probably unlikely as tight as the frames fit. The sections stack well. The lids have tabs on the inside that snap over the section but not real snugly. You can pick the section up by the lid, but I wouldn't shake it while doing that. I secured the lid to my taste with some clear packing tape. It took no time at all to do 4 frames (64 sections) and the best thing was that I did it in my living room. No mess whatsoever. After this, I like them even more.
    Some of the sections had empty cells in the corners and some weren't completely capped, but I thought I could sell those as seconds or just use them at home.
    Here's the results: http://www.ohiohomestead.com/bee-o-pac.htm

Hopefully the remaining sections still in the super will now be filled and capped.

Terneus Guest

Lightbulb

Thanks everyone for the info. I was going to write a poor review of this bee-o-pac product because I didn't have the instructions others have shared on this site. Needless to say, duct tape looks silly and is frustrating on an expensive comb device. 1+ week and they've not touched the plastic. But scattered success here on the site is giving me hope. Looks like I'm going to have to be a more frequent visitor of this chat group...

You need a pair of pliers with a square flat jaw on them. The electriction type with the side cutters and square nose is what I used to crimp them together. It worked perfectly I did not use, nor needed, any duct tape.

I understand most commercial ross round producers feed honey into the hive to get the combs filled out. I may try this with the bee o pak as well, but only if they partially fill them. so far nothing and the flow will be over in a week or so.

maybe for the fall goldenrod flow.

I bought a few of these. could not put them together, so I hot glued the edges. Worked great.
    I didnt put full supers of them on though, I put them sporaticaly in the honey supers. They were accepted imediately, and most are filled.

I was disapointed at the price though. How much to make and ship these? I bought mine for over 6 bucks a pop. These are as expensive to make as a 2 liter pop bottle.

Despite the assembly issues, i really like the concept though. Almost zero packaging costs. I'll buy them again.

John Russell

we have had ours on the hives for four weeks they have now filled all but two frames. after i figured it out i think that the bee-o -pac is cheaper than a ross round or hogg half comb.

jfischer Guest

Has anyone noticed that these things are
    TOO &^%$*# HIGH for the 6 5/8 super they
    are said to "fit"?

Now, if you add the extra space of a queen
    excluder or an Imrie shim below, one can
    at use them, but when harvest time comes,
    I have no idea how a larger-scale operation
    might stack supers of Bee-O-Pacs.

Jim F.,

Have you emailed the Bee-O-Pac manufacturer asking about the height of their product? I too had to use a shim. I am hoping I received an early production run and the problem has been fixed in later shipments.

Mark

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234