Thread: Hive painting

Question

Received used hive parts from retired beekeeper. Assured to be disease free and clean. They do need some paint. I want to use them soon but curious as to whether the smell of fresh paint (latex)would be harmful or repel a colony. How long should I wait before using after painting?

Especially with Latex I never worry about it. I paint it sometimes with bees in it.

Cool

Hi there. We have often painted our hives right on the hive stand and full of bees with no problems. Of course if you are going to be moving them around I would let them dry or you might end up with paint all over you. hehe.

Paint the outside , not the inside
    scott

>paint the outside.

Oops. I should have thought to say that. It always seems obvious to me.

>paint the outside.
    >>Oops. I should have thought to say that. It always seems obvious to me

HeHe, its pretty difficult to paint the inside with the bees in the hive!

I asked about colors and such on one of the e-mail lists. Consensus is to use whatever color you like - the bees dont care.

Nancy

I paint my hives green to blend in with the background (trees, bushes). I think it makes the hives less noticable to kids which helps avoid potential hive tipping. I've heard in some areas, hive theft is also a problem. Out of sight, out of mind.

I do the same, i paint my hives a blend of clearance paint that always ends up slightly yellow-green. My next pasture neighbor didn't know i had bees until I gave them honey.

I paint for neutral, position for morning sun and afternoon shade (we are in the 100 degree zone).

I talk to an old hand queen raiser. He paints the inside of his hives with Yacht Varnish. Interesting. It's a good choice of varnish, I use the same on my boat but I always kind of figured I'd leave the inside of the box for them to do their own thing.

The only quality that a specific color has to offer is heat management. White repels light and therefore doesn't convert it to heat. The darker the paint the warmer the walls of the hive will be.

You can experiment if you wish, just take two same size boxes, paint one White, and the other Black and put synchronized (meaning they read the temp the same) thermometers in both and put in the sun.

So if you are placing your hives in full sun, avoid black and dark colors. Any light color should do fine, white is best...strictly froma heat management point of view. On my top bar hives, I don't paint the bodies at all, just paint the roofs white, they extend over the sides and ends of the hive and keep it dry even in the hardest rain, and the sun only ever hits the cover and never hits the hive bodies except in the morning until about 10:30-11:00am.

I have a new philosophy I just started. "We don't need no stinking paint". It's much easier. I'll have to see how they weather in the long run.

But I do TRY to get the migratory covers painted because the take the worst of the weather.

dtwilliamson Guest

What about stain? I have thought about staining some of my hives with some extra oil based exterior siding stain I have laying around but don't want to use something that will be harmful. Any thoughts?

My guess is as long as it's on the outside it will be fine. I use a lot of nuetral base for exterior latex.

Well here goes my two cents.
    I did paint all the outsides with Latex and it is holding up well. On the inside the boxes are unpainted with the exception of the inner covers. I coated them with boiled linseed oil, let them dry for quite some time and the bees keep them amazingly clean. I have very little burr comb on the inner covers. Might I have done something right?

I haven't used the linseed oil but I've done FGMO and they stay a lot cleaner. I should do it more often.