Does anyone know a source for plans for the English stype hive tops? I can guessimate the outside dimensions but was wondering how to trim out the internals. Do they sit over a normal inner cover and what ventation advantage would they offer in hot summer months?

http://www.beesource.com/plans/wbc.htm

This has plans that show how to make one for a WBC hive with langstroth dimensions. Basically it's just a telescopic with a sloped roof.

Yes it would offer more ventilation if you make an inner cover with some screen wire over the hole and a hole in the gable with screen wire over that.

Are the WBC hives less likly to be blown over, with each section telescoping onto each other?

Do the plans on this site accept the US sized frames?

I like the way they look...

Nancy

I was thinking they do. The inside measurment of a Lanstroth is 18 3/8" by 14 3/4" Is that what the plans end up?

Big Grin

I think they look good and also think there may be a pratical side to them. The sloping sides and top should not only assist in ventalation, but also any condensation would tend to drain to sides and not drip into brood area.

I have some spare cedar lapboard siding that I have been trying to fit into the design - the main problem is getting a good corner support system using the thin siding.

[This message has been edited by JohnBeeMan (edited April 27, 2004).]