I have alot of equipment still to make this year. Something just isn't going to get done. Between frames, foundation, bottoms and tops, which are all needed, I'm thinking that inner covers can be delayed. I still plan on making them and installing them, but it would be a big burden lifted to not rushed to have them on D-day.

I have noticed that a couple of telescoping tops I was cleaning up the other day (Bought at a sale), had the residue imprint from frames. As if they sat right on the supers, without any inner cover. Got me thinking about the much needed time for other items, and if I just placed the tops on the hives and came back within a month and then installed the inner covers. I do want to use them and are standard on all my hives, but ask...Does anyone not use inner covers? Other than burr comb, and messing with bee space, any other words of wisdom?

Since you can't get to the edges (because of the telescoping) they are more difficult to get free sometimes (because of the propolis). On a hot day, not too bad. On a cold day they pop off with a sharp blow, but an in-between day, they can be hard to remove. Where a migratory you can get a hive tool in between.

The other advantages to an inner cover are the air space to prevent condensation. I think the importance of that is related to the climate and to upper entrances. Your upper entrances may get you by on that.

I like to put them on without an inner cover at least once to get a little propolis on them because I like them to stick to the inner cover a bit to prevent them blowing off.

There is a semi-retired(down to 100hives)comercal bee keeper here that I go to with questions alot.He uses migratory tops without inner cover.He drills a 3 inch hole in tops center and feed directly into hive with sugar water jars.He says this is only way to go.