Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Slatted Rack Boards

7K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  odfrank 
#1 ·
I was checking over some equipment and found some slatted rack boards I used to use when I first got into bees. Are they of any value? Can they be used in conjunction with SBB or are they a piece of bee history?

#2 ·
I use mine on screened bottom pallets. Just sawed two slots so that they can rest on the screen and serve as the entrance. Hopefully protects from any excess drafts the SBB might allow. I also use them on solid bottom board hives.

#8 ·
MICHAEL...it's od frank, as in oliver daniel, NOT ODD FRANK, as in wierdo....but most beekeepers are wierdos, aren't we ???

My slatted racks are above the screens.

#12 ·
None of the statistics I've seen are staggering, but basicly from what I've seen and read, you can expect 10% fewer swarms, 10% more brood, and 10 to 20% more production. But some of these you will get from a SBB also. The results are due to the extra ventilation without drafts. They were measured and compared on solid bottom boards. Some of that extra ventilation will come from the SBB. But the cluster space is also a swarm deterent and you won't get that from a SBB.

I don't know if this is enough for you, to be worth the work or not, but that's about what the claims I've seen are and they seem consistent with my observations.

#15 ·
Yesterday's giant swarm had two 9" rows of capped drone brood under the slatted rack. Only three queens cells, and a truckload of drones left behind by the swarm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.