Thread: Honey Prices?

I'am wondering were the pridictions are for honey prices.Were is the bottom line. I have added all my cost and to break even I need to get .80(CAN) to the pound. Do you think it will ever go there again?

Your break even is a little high. My break even, on a 150lbs crop is about 30centslbs. Spread your equipment costs out alot further. Even 50 cents is more realistic than 80 cents, for honey production in Mb.
    Right now the price is being depressed by a number of factors. The biggest factor for Canadian prarie producers is the strength in the CND dollar to the US dollar. Other sutch factors as cheap imported honey, drop in consumer consumption by about 15%. Who knows what is ahead of us. Depends on how good of a crop the Americans have this year.
    I think it is still over $1.5/lbs CND, far cry from $2.5 seen in the fall...

Ian

Hi Ian

I think that @ 1.50 CND that it still is a good profit. I thought that @ 1.00 a pound that it was still a good sideline. But I was talking to other beekeepers and they said that in the future because of all the management that is involved you need at least a $1.00 a pound? Do you have a lot of colonies? Do you sell to the co-op or farm gate sales?

>>But I was talking to other beekeepers and they said that in the future because of all the management that is involved you need at least a $1.00 a pound?

With a break even of 80 cent/lbs, you need more than $1 to make a reasonable go out of it. When I go into beekeeping, the price of honey was 70 cents. I guess my break even gives a false impression. I am not including "my own" labour in the figure. 30 cents/lbs is a break even on my yearly hive operating and fixed expenses. Then yes I need a $1 to make my efforts worth while. I'm very cerious how your break even is 80 cnts.
    Your main operating expenses are , feed, med., queens and labour replacement stock are incured through out the beekeeping work season
    All your equipment, initial stock, and buildings should be taken over a number of years in your yearly projections as fixed expences.
    Look at your numbers and try to get your break even down. It will make your venture look better on paper.
    No I dont have alot of hives. Just a little guy between three giants. 200 hives into winter last year with projections of 250 hive into the honeyflow this year. I am a member of BeeMaid Honey Producers LTD. BeeMaid adds stability to my operation providing me with a close outlet for my bulk honey sales and a compedative retail outlet for my beekeeping needs
    Where do you beekeep, how many hives

Ian

Smile

Hi Ian

I am beekeeping on the outskirts of south Winnipeg; I will have about 90 colonies this spring, if all turns out. Yes I was incorporating labor cost. I’m thinking of going commercial in the next couple years. I love beekeeping! When I was a kid I would rush to the shopping center to see the honey bee display every fall! Nuts for bees! I went to the conference @ the Hotel fort Garry and a lot of good info in such a quick day! Who’s the 3 giants that you’re in between, is Lorne Peters on of them? Have you been in the industry long? Do you anybody selling supers with drawn comb?

Hi Ian

I am beekeeping on the outskirts of south Winnipeg; I will have about 90 colonies this spring, if all turns out. Yes I was incorporating labor cost. I’m thinking of going commercial in the next couple years. I love beekeeping! When I was a kid I would rush to the shopping center to see the honey bee display every fall! Nuts for bees! I went to the conference @ the Hotel fort Garry and a lot of good info in such a quick day! Who’s the 3 giants that you’re in between, is Lorne Peters on of them? Have you been in the industry long? Do you anybody selling supers with drawn comb?

Dan

>>Nuts for bees!

Me too

>>I went to the conference @ the Hotel fort Garry and a lot of good info in such a quick day!

I could not make it. Calving out cows. Hope to be at next years. Maybe see you there too...

>>Who’s the 3 giants that you’re in between, is Lorne Peters on of them?

Dont know of Lorne, but heard of him. Must be very involved with beekeeping in the area?
    Friezen, Mulluin, and Smearl( who just sold out a a gentleman from France). Pushing my way in.

>>Have you been in the industry long?

8 years now

>>Do you anybody selling supers with drawn comb?

No tried to find some last year with no sucess. Ended up drawing out all I needed. Anyone who seemed to have eq1uipment for sale, seemed to have some past experiences with AFB. Check with Real before you buy equipment for disease history. Might find that drawing your own is the best route.

Ian