Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

>Is there a reason not to paint the outside of an inner cover?

Yes. It's less work!

>How many of you paint your inner covers?

When I first started making equipment I painted everyting inside and out. It wasn't until a discussion here that I realized that the wood was an intricate part of the bee ecology. Just as the bee tree absorbs the excess moisture and gives it back to the bees, the wood in our immitation hives needs to breath as well.

I do see two exceptions to painting the interior. The bottom boards need to be protected from the run off of excess moisture that collects on the ceiling of the hive and runs down, and from the rain that blows in the entrance.

The other is the inside of the top cover. I use miller feeders, the condensation from the syrup is very high and the tops are constantly wet. If it were not for the use of the miller feeders, I would not paint the inside of the tops.

Is there a reason not to paint the outside of an inner cover?

reply:

Not really a good one other than you don't have too and I'm getting lazier after all these years

As much time as my inner cover saw being under a feeding jar I wish I had painted the outer edge. One thing about spaying instead of rolling or brushing, the paint will not soak into the wood as good. For exterior items it is best brushed along the grain of the wood. A roller gives a thicker coat and there for gives the paint more time to soak into the wood before it dries. Brushing takes to long. Spraying does not protect the wood as good. So I see rolling as the best way to paint hives.

Gee, and I just rolled it on because I was too cheap to buy a sprayer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12