Question

I just received 80 plastic frames with foundation from Brushy Mountain and kinda dissapointed with it. It is supposed to be wax coated but it looks like they put the wax on with a shotgun - some wax here, none there. The wax coating is far from being uniform. I am concerned how well the bees will take to it - if I spray them with sugar water when I put them in the hives make the bees take to it better? If not, what should / can I do?

If you spray them with some syrup with Honey Bee Healthy or other essential oils or even plain syrup, they will probably build on it even if it was bare plastic. The wax is sprayed on as thin as possible but a little helps a lot with acceptance of the plastic.

If there's enough, you could melt it with a hair dryer and spread it around.

I had the same experience with plastic foundation--do not even recall where I bought it--several years ago. A little wax here, a little there, lots of bare plastic.

Turned me off of plastic.
    Ox

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

If you have any wax from cappings / scraping, that has been melted into blocks, or even made into candles, just rub the wax onto the plastic foundation. It does not have to be pretty, just coat it. The bees will make use of all of the wax.

I wouldn't worry a thing about it. I use only plastic (Pierco) and never have had trouble drawing wax out (it always helps feeding 1:1 though, it makes bees produce more wax). A friend of mine bought some plastic off me and said they didn't draw on them... but it was because he mixed them in with wax foundation. Bees will always PREFER drawing out wax before plastic, but if you don't give them the choice, they will draw out plastic just as well.

I received prebuilt 60 medium frames of waxed Ritecell from Mann Lake. I examined them carefully and I think that they did an excellent job. The wax coating appears evenly over the entire surface. The only defects I found were perhaps three or four cells on each side that had a little excess wax in the bottom of the cell. Otherwise they were perfect.

Kai

I have a lot of that from Mann Lake. I've noticed that it used to be white plastic and you could tell where the wax was. Now it's yellow plastic and it's harder to tell. It gives the impression of being evenly coated where before you could tell it wasn't. Just my observation. I do business with Mann Lake and Brushy Mt. and like them both for different things.