Thread: FGMO foggers

Hybrid View

Is the burgess fogger pretty much the only choice? How much modification will it need, and can I do it without a degree in thermo-dynamic engineering? Would it be better to get a bigger propane bottle and connect it with a hose with a valve on it? Any thoughts?

Also how much will one cost these days?
    thanks, Andy

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...tchen&n=284507

This is the cheapest one I could find on the net, I'm pretty sure they're cheaper at Wally World or Home Depot. Not sure about the modifications needed.

I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" The Burgess Fogger needs no modification whatsoever to use it to fog your bees. The only caveat is that it is a new fogger--never having been tainted with insecticide. I bought mine at Lowe's for just under $60. Well worth the cost, so far as I'm concerned, since my bees are doing well with the FGMO treatments.

Re the Fogger:
    Burgess's fogger is cheaply made, but it works and is adequate as is. I would not plan on trying to reinvent it until it wears out.

If you want to see another, look up the one Hudson makes. Burgess also makes a pro model for something over $100. I did not price the Hudson fogger.

Regular price on the one's Lowe's sells is around $60. Since Lowe's stands behind the goods they sell that is not a bad place to buy.

Also, note that many beekeepers are using industrial mop heads as their source of cord for the emulsion. Lowe's sells one for about $4 or $5 that has yard-long cords, and over a hundred cords per head. Much cheaper than welt cord and the mop heads are made of cord designed to absorb liquids. If you use a mop head, just take your wife's seam ripper and cut the stitches that hold the center together. The cords will then all come out as a bundle. One of those big mops (not the expensive $10 kind, the $4 or $5 kind) will soak up all the emusion you make from a pound of wax.

Go to a junk store and buy yourself a big pot with a lid to mix the emulsion in--You can store the cord in it and carry only what you need for a day in a closed tupperware dish or an old margarine container.

Ox

Could a compressed-air-powered airbrush, for painting, but clean, fog FGMO well, and cheaper, if one already has compressed air, etc.?

Brian Cady

Hello folks from a beautiful Spring-like day in central Spain.
    Re: Burgess Portable Propane Insect Fogger.
    I have been using the fogger for 7-8 years now and I have tried many ways to improve its efficacy. It is a very simple and economic machine. I am still using the first one that I bourght (after reaming the coil to clean it because I made an error in a trial). The only maintenance that I have been required to do is to change the gasket in the little pump. It is easy to do and may be peformed with ease by just about anyone.
    I have tried using a large propane bottle with an adaptor but encountered gas flow problems and it became cumbersome to handle in the field. I have ordered a valve to attach to large propane bottles for re-filling the standard small propane bottles. The fitting should be in the mail and I will use it in trials this coming season. Observations will be posted promptly as usual.
    The machine works very well even for commercial beekeepers having capacity to treat hundreds of hives at one time. I recommend replacing the standard container with a larger mason type glass jar that has many advantages over the plastic green factory container. For the time being I do not foresee any other changes.
    The price is right, the service obtained from a unit is great, it is labor friendly, and it does a bang of a job. I am happy with it and consider myself fortunate that I had the imagination to convert its use for FGMO purposes.
    Best reagrds and God bless.
    Dr. Rodriguez

It works great right out of the box. As my fogger gets older it seems to lose a bit of it's oomph. I will try some of the modifications to see if it will revitalize it. Most of them are just ways to get a little more propane to the coils.

I too have bought a new Burgess and am quite satisfied with it. The Glass jar idea of Dr. Rodriguez sounds great and I will try it. I also saw that Harbor Freight Tools has a gadget that will allow filling the small propane bottles from a larger one. This is much easier than carrying one of those larger propane containers. Can't wait for spring!

Thanks everyone, I'm looking into one on ebay but might end up going to Lowes. You know how the swoopers are on ebay, and by the time you figure shipping---Seems most on ebay are dealers nowadays anyway.