Hybrid View

I have decided to motorize a 4 frame hand-crank extractor this winter. I am toying with different set-ups, (i.e., pulley and motor locations/configuration). Does anyone have any pictures to share (or posted somewhere) of your extractor set-up so that I can get some more ideas? Any help is appreciated.

Also, someone awhile back posted that they were going to used an ice cream maker motor - did that actually work?

Kurt

My ice cream maker doesn't go nearly fast enough to extract honey. Maybe if you could change the gear ratio somehow.

Walter T. Kelly sells motorization kits called "Power Drive Conversion Kit". It's $70.00 and the picture shows an electric motor with two sets of pulleys and belts to get the speed. I think getting enough torque to get it to move and enough speed to get it to extract would be the balance you want to find.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited January 23, 2004).]

Here's a page that shows what I used
    on my home made twenty frame radial extractor.
    http://www.zero-max.com/products/drives/drivesmain.asp

Worked like a champ!

[This message has been edited by The Honey House (edited January 23, 2004).]

I don't really like the set-up of the W-Kelly set-up. I think that I would rather mount the motor to the side (and below) the extractor. There are also some picts in ABC/XYZ book that were interesting.

Do you have a pict. of your extractor H-house?

www.beesource.com/plans

[This message has been edited by The Honey House (edited January 23, 2004).]