Ellensburg, Washington, USA East Edges of the Cascades

Whats the oddest thing you have seen someone make a hive out of?
    I was looking at a big wooden wine barrel that I have and just was thinking that it would make a odd hive.

Kevin:

I think what you have to consider is that whatever you use it needs to have removeable frames for inspection. Unless I am mistaken the law (at least in my state) requires removeable frame hives.
    Better check before you build.

Kurt

A styrofoam cooler? A log is too old fashioned, but I've seen that. I've done them in just a wood box.

This was not made for use as a bee hive but they moved in to it. How about a clothes dryer that was thrown out on the side of the road. The problem with that law is you have to introduce them to the box with intent of keeping them. IF you laid the barrel on its side and removed the plug and a swarm so happens to move into your yard decor you are not required to remove them. This is hard to pull if you are a beekeeper but I know of someone that made a skep and placed it in the middle of a flower garden and collected a swarm and put in it.

Lightbulb

I'm gonna have one in an old chest freezer that's in my garage, the inside is just over 19" across, too good to pass up.