Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

>If you can find 1X14 it is very expensive per board foot. Hey, if you were only going to run them as singles you could build you're slatted rack in that space as part of the super.

I think by the time you get to 1 x 14 it is expensive and probably would be cheaper at that point to buy plywood. You COULD, since you're only going one deep, build in a slatted rack and the cluster space and the bottom board if you made it out of plywood.

>I was being lazy when I said 20X20. If you use this dimension the frames might not rest properly and drop down. I actually make them 19 7/8 or whatever it is supposed to be.

I was wondering if you meant a literal 20 x 20.

Has anyone considered that 19 x 19 7/8 has a lot of advantages. It is exactly twice the width of a 5 frame nuc. You can put two miller feeders for a 5 frame nuc (available from Brushy Mt.) on side by side. You can put any depth 5 frame nuc you want for supers. You can use deeps, or you could buy deeps and add on to make Dadant deeps, or you can build Dadant deeps, or you can buy mediums from Brushy Mt.

Dadant deeps are not in the catalog or on the web site. Are they still available?

>Dadant deeps are not in the catalog or on the web site. Are they still available?

I assume you mean Western Bee Supply? They only have frames and they are not listed. You have to ask for them. They will tell you they are only available in budget. Take those. The notch for the bottom bar on the end bars will be too wide, but just center the bottom bar and nail it. They work fine.

No one else has them that I know of. I don't know if you could talk somone into making them, like Walter T. Kelly.

Thanks, I'll call them.

I have a question about these jumbo Dadant hives that relates to the recent discussion on the tbh thread.

When a jumbo Dadant is all set up and running well, with enough brood chamber to suit your fancy, and supered, what is the hive volume in litres?

David S.

The sqaure dadant deep box on a bottom board by itself is 66 liters. Obviously you super as much as you like. I would expect four or five medium supers on that, but you typically overwinter in just the bottom box. Five standard 10 frame medium supers by themselves are 147 liters. That's a total of 213 liters in the middle of the honey flow and 66 liters for overwintering.

All the jumbo deep frames are all gone and there will not be any more, she said. Oh well, I would rather have my 12" deep PC anyway. I was thinking about maybe starting a small cell horizonal hive, so much for that.

BB: Did you figure out how to connect 2 medium PC combs together? Thanks

>All the jumbo deep frames are all gone and there will not be any more, she said.

That is terrible! I wanted quite a few more in the spring!

That is terrrible. We should all write a letter asking them to keep them in production. Swienty is the only other source. We are talking Western , correct ?

Don't that figure that they don't have them. Well I finally got my new dado a few days ago. I guess I can build any kinda frame I want and in any style.

You really only have to build end bars. Most suppliers will sell you top and bottom bars seperately even if they don't list and and many do.

Maybe if enough of us request them they will make another run of them.

>BB: Did you figure out how to connect 2 medium PC combs together? Thanks

Yeah, I will plastic weld them together, I ordered a welder, should be here this week. It uses a special rod for poly. Welding two together will give me 12 x 17 square inches of nearly solid comb per side.

>Maybe if enough of us request them they will make another run of them.

She said in pretty certain terms that there will not be any more because they were poor sellers and they were just glad to be rid of what they had.

>We are talking Western , correct ?

I don't know if they are called western, I don't think so. I think MB called them jumbo deeps, 11 3/8"?

I think they were talking about western bee supply.

oh, doh!

I think it was Dadant that referred me to Western Bee back in 1979, when I first ordered deep frames. Even back then the gal at Western kinda pretended at first that she they didn't have any, and later "found" some deep end bars in the back room. This repeated itself several times, up until last year, over that 25 year period. **** you guys for buying what they had left. I have to go check how many I still have. Clayton or MB should take a trip to Denmark and bring us back a few cases from Swienty.

I never got a chance to buy any from them. I guess I never will. I don't think I will be heading to denmark anytime soon though. If you guys need end bars I could make them for you if you get desperate. They propbably won't be as fancy but should be functional. I don't have a shaper so would have to rip a sawblade off each side to make the taper. Doesn't look as nice but works all the same.

>**** you guys for buying what they had left.

YOU got us interested and told us where to get them. I will try making my own and see how it goes. I will only make the ends and buy the top and bottom bars. Maybe if we got enough of us together we could get them to make a run of 10,000 or so. If ten of use would each buy 1000 end bars they might be willing to set up to make a run of them. Meanwhile if we keep calling maybe they will decide there is a market to keep some around when they do a run for us?

Anyone interested in buying 1000 end bars?

I have heard that a lot of deep frames in Langstroth size supers are used in Mexico. That would be a freight economic source if we could track one down.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast