This Saturday I am going to buy a narrow crown air stapler for assembling frames.I was looking at the Porter-Cable stapler at Home Depot they have 2 different ones the one that uses up to 1" staples that is $88 and one that uses up to 1.5" for something like $125. My question is are the 1" staples long enough for the frames or should I spend the extra money for the 1.5" gun. Walter T Kelley sells a gun that goes up to 1.5" but they say to use 1" staples for frames.

Joens:The way I was taught was to use a stapel that was twice the length as the wood is thick.
    I have been using 3/4" for years & have not any problems.>>>>Mark

I don't staple, but would shoot for 1 1/4" staples if possible. If you glue too you can go with the shorter if you don't maybe go with the longer. But thats me!

I always glue everything as well.I want everything to hold together.

[This message has been edited by joens (edited January 01, 2004).]

My stapler was made for laying carpet. So mine is the narrow(1/4") rounded head upto 1 1/2" long. The staples I have are 1 1/4". They work great.

It is all the fault of this board. I was a carpenter for years and never had a gun, but I got so tired of bending those little nails on frames, that I bought a gun from Walter T. Kelly. They recommended 1" for frames and they seem to work fine. But some of it depends on how brittle the wood is and how straight you can shoot. If you can get them in straight without splitting the wood, the longer ones will hold more.

Also, I just bought a table saw. I've always just cut things out with a skill saw. I never owned a table saw before, but I find myself making top bars and frames etc. and it is SO much easier with a table saw. $88 at home depot.

>Also, I just bought a table saw. I've always just cut things out with a skill saw. I never owned a table saw before, but I find myself making top bars and frames etc. and it is SO much easier with a table saw. $88 at home depot.

Congratulations! A good tablesaw will set you free, just like getting that first word processor. What you can now do and the quality/quanity of your work will multiply many times over.

Tip: Soak tips of end bars for 15 minutes in warm water before nailing to prevent splitting.

I use 1&1/4" Senco staples for frames. Staples are much less likely than nails to split frames because they have blunt points and glue on them to hold better.(The old carpenter trick is to blunt your nail when you are worried about splitting wood. That way the nail tears into the wood instead of forcing the fibers apart and causing the wood to split.) I still nail boxes with hot dipped galvenized nails, but always blunt the top nail on the end of the boxes to keep from splitting the wood.

Happy nailing!

Big Grin

MrBEE

Just so you DONT blame this board I would like to offer YOU some advice!

Please be careful w/ new table saw, your fingers are need here!

A skill saw usually runs across your upper thigh, but you can still type!

I will try to remain as diligent with the table saw as I have been these years with the skill saw.

BTW I've been using table saws all my life, I just never owned one. My father did when I was growing up, I used one in shop class in High School, I used one working with a cabinet maker as a carpenter.

That cabnet maker has been doing cabinets and carpentry for 50 years and never cut himself on a saw, when he ran his thumb through. He had the blade set so it barely stuck through the wood or he would have lost his thumb. It reminds you that no matter how long you've been doing it, it only takes a second of not thinking.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited January 02, 2004).]

Joens, Go with the 1.5 gun.You will find yourself using for a lot more than frames.I use mine to assemble many hive parts.

Jack

Wink

I use an old narrow crown senco stapler with 1" staples. Never had any problems. If I were you I would buy the one that can shoot longer staples just so it would be more versitile in the future. I am sure you will find something in the future where you will want longer staples.

stapling and glueing gives you a much stronger joint than either alone. the staple helps set a very thin glue joint - too much glue weakens the joint.