Thread: Frame Rests

Do most people use frame rests (not frame spacers)in their hives? Do they extend (considerably) the life of the box or are they just another thing for suppliers to sell?

I have metal rests in many of my hives. I don't think it extends the life of your supers really, but it does make scraping the propolis off of the ledge easier (in my opinion).

Greetings . . .

I have metal frame rest (looks like a "T" on its side) in my brood chambers. Since honey supers are not on hive except during flow, I have not used them in my shallows.

Remember, "T" type requires a [b]deeper[/d] notch (3/4"). Kind that looks like an "L" or angle, could be used in a regular (5/8") notch without distroying beespace.

------------------
    Dave W . . .

A NewBEE with 1 hive.
    First package installed
    April, 2003.

I use them in older supers mainly, to hold the frames back into place where they use to be held. Adds some extra life in the boxes. Handy to have them around during extracting, when equipment on my honeyfarm gets culled. I just quickly hammer them into the boxes that need them. I find that the bees do not propolize the frames down as bad. They are not near as hard to pull out of the boxes.

Ian

I was putting them on every box until I started with Permacomb, now I use nine frame spacers in every box.

When I started out I had the frame rests. The ones like a sidways "T" do change the spacing some. They also prevent some of the propolis. But I don't bother with them.

I tried using 9 frame spacers too, but I think I prefer to use a "comb" to space the 9 frames in a super.

I plan to use 9-frame spacing in my honey supers, too. I have cut (engraved) a shallow groove in middle of each top-bar, about 1" from each end. Both frame-rest notches have been marked with 9 equal-spaced grooves. I plan to simply align the marks on ends of top-bar w/ marks on notches, and let the bees glue them in place. No alignment comb or frame spacers needed. I HOPE!

Should work. I think the metal spacing combs are simpler and less measuring. I've also made them from a 1 x 2 and some dowels but the metal combs are simpler to use.