Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    lewisberry, Pa, usa
    Posts
    6,080

    Post

    I'm modifying some of my bottom boards to make them sbb. I ordered one and noticed the cut-out (screened) area is all but about 1 inch all the way round. That would be great if you originally made them this way. But, If I cut this entire area with a jig-saw on the existing ones, most of the stability will be lost, as the boards run side to side.

    My question is - Has anyone done a study or heard something about the area needed to dispose of most of the mites through the screen? How effective would a 5 inch square vs. a 10 inch square vs. the entire bottom board being cut out? If the cut out area is in the middle beneath the main brood area, is this a maximum (hot) area in reference to the edges/front/back. Has anyone notices a concentrated mite fall in the center or are they evenly dispersed on the sticky boards?
    Thank you.

    [This message has been edited by BjornBee (edited November 14, 2003).]

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Posts
    2,837

    Post

    BjornBee,
    My SBB cut-out is approx 11x16. I find mites evenly distributed on the sticky board. This may change once the bees cluster, I dont know. My opinion is, "bigger is better".

    ------------------
    Dave W . . .

    A NewBEE with 1 hive.
    First package installed
    April, 2003.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    Posts
    5,159

    Post

    My cut outs are about 12 x 17 and are cut out of solid 3/4" plywood. I notice mites are scattered all over the tray, but mostly under the brood area.

    If you want to salvage your BB's, you could use a 1x2 to cleat the screen down all around the edge of the wire. I would use screws, and glue inbetween the cleats and wire/bottom. Doing this you could still have an opening of about 11 x 16.

    ------------------
    Bullseye Bill
    Smack dab in the middle of the country.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Posts
    767

    Post

    I modified my regular bottom boards to be SBBs: cut out about 1 inch from the rails and front entrace; staple 8-mesh over the opening from the top; nail 1 X 2 cleats on the bottom to reinforce the side rails. (Looking back, I should have used 2 X 2 or even 2 X 4 cleats with grooves in them for sliding in the sticky board.) Mites are scattered pretty evenly over the board - I agree with bigger is better in this case.

    ------------------

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads