Come spring, I will be starting several new hives using Perma Comb in the honey supers. What I am still kicking around is whether to use Pierco or Perma Comb in the brood supers (all supers honey/brood will be mediums) Are there any advantages/disadvantages to one or the other as brood frames?

>Are there any advantages/disadvantages to one or the other as brood frames?

I know there are a lot of posts to wade through in the Permacomb thread but...

I use all PC in my hives because of all the advantages, and I have yet to find any disadvantages.

With PC I don't have to:
    assemble frames,
    wire foundation,
    ever,
    or change them out except to take them to the carwash for cleaning

I get a smaller bee (5.1) than raised from 5.4 foundation

If a hive crashes, the moths don't destroy the frames of comb.

And everything is interchangeable, if you want unlimited brood and the queen moves up, no problem. If you don't want cocoons in your supers, no problem, take them to the carwash.

When used with care, they should last many times longer than wood frames and in the long run be less expensive.

I guess there is one disadvantage. You will not harvest as much wax. Instead of the bees making wax they make honey. This could be a serious problem for you candelmakers.

------------------
    Bullseye Bill
    Smack dab in the middle of the country.

The bees will establish MUCH quicker on PermaComb in the brood chamber. The queen will start laying in it in just a couple of days since it's already drawn out.

Cool

I was just talking to a beekeeper in Mass who had inherited some equipment. He mentioned a type of foundation that was from Germany(?). He described it as a thin sheet of styrofoam sandwitched between 2 panels (?). Said it was called ANP or maybe AMP or maybe A&P. Anyone heard of this stuff. Just curious.

Thanx

I have not seen it nor heard of it, but a search brought up these:
    http://www.beeculture.com/beeculture...ov/99nov1.html
    http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/academic/...ct96-Dec96.txt

ANP = Apis Nova Products a German Company

I would prefer to use the permacomb. I plan on starting out 4 three pound pkgs. Be sure to feed the bees honey-b-healthy. I fed this to the bees mixed with sugar water and they really seemed to take off.