Hi there all. I was just wondering as I am getting ready to buy some pierco foundation for the first time and was wondering if there was more of quicker acceptance and filling out of the black permacomb vs. the white. I know that the black is supposed to be for the brood chamber so you can see the eggs better, but I was just curious if any one has noticed the black ones getting drawn out faster. I have always heard that the bees prefer dark combs?

No opinion about the differences between black and white Pierco, but I can say from experience that I have had much success with the black.
    I have excellent acceptance and run about 50% in my colonies.
    Kurt

I used black Pierco foundation in my brood chambers this season. Here are a few of my observations.

1. The bees drew out the Pierco as fast as the wax foundation.

2. The black background is great for viewing brood.

3. Didn't require any additional support e.g. crosswires or pins.

4. The bees didn't chew the corners out of the plastic foundation.

I was thinking of switching all of my brood frames to black Pierco until I read a recent thread. It appears that once you scrape the wax off of the plastic foundation the bees are less likely to draw out proper comb, making it difficult to reuse the foundation. I have not experienced this yet. But, I haven't used plastic for more than a season.

>wondering if there was more of quicker acceptance and filling out of the black permacomb vs. the white.

Permacomb does not make black.

I know you meant Perco, but I couldn't resist.

I used both black and white and would agree on all points that Smoyer makes except that my bees did not draw out the Perco very well.

I had a lot of poorly drawn comb, most of the problems were cross-drawn comb and comb drawn inbetween the frames. The comb was not attached to the frames and I had to scrape it off and make them try again and again.

My best use for my old Perco is to leave it in the swarm traps.

Bill

I imagine that since its dark inside the beehive, the bees probably couldn't care what color it is...just a guess...guys?

Brandon

Greetings Everyone,

A test was conducted and the results printed in the ABJ some time ago concerning the bees preference for different colored Pierco. Black definately won out.

It seems the bees are somewhat reluctant to drawout comb in areas where light was defused. The black comb is essentially opaque while the white isn't. That was apparently the difference.

All of the commercial guys I know buy the black stuff by the semi load. I don't know of a single one who uses the white. Maybe that's why.

Regards
    Dennis

Smoyer:
    Dont worry about scraping off the wax. After scraping, pressure wash and recoat with wax.
    I believe that the old Pierco was not sprayed with wax and thus had some acceptance problems. All the Pierco being sold now has been sprayed with wax. You can replicate this by using a paint brush on your plastic foundation.
    I did this with hundreds of frames last year and the bees readily accepted them.

Kurt

I prefer the black and for some reason the bees have always done so too.

As an aside note some of the problems with pierrco may be due to the fact that it has a smaller cell sizing than most of the other commercial foundation available.

I found a tendency for the bees to mess up the black frames,, This year I drew out over 1500 Percio white frames and only had a hand full burr comb and drone comb. The rest drew out beautifuly and all packed full of honey. The year before, I had bought black frames, becasue it was all that was left, and they were drawn out horribly. Scraped down over 1/3 of them. Two different years, bith with strong honey flows. My supplyer told me that there is no difference in acceptance b/w the black and white frames, but I will never buy black frames again,

Ian

You know the old saying ask 10 beekeepers get 10 different answers all of which are right of course

Never used pierco in honey supers but I prefer black unwaxed for brood boxes.

Greetings Everyone,

There was a study done comparing the acceptance for different colors and waxed/unwaxed options for Pierco frames. It was published in one of the bee journals within the last 5? years.

I searched the archives at www.beeculture.com and didn't find anything. Does anyone remember the study?

Now for a plug. I think every beekeeper should subscribe to at least one bee mag if not more. The internet is great but it engages only a small portion of the beekeepers.

Regards
    Dennis