I put a couple of hundred of the new type plastic excluders (Dadant sells them,I think they are made in Greece) on hives this year.The bees were a bit slow to go through them till they got some wax on them then they were fine.They were comparable to the metal excluders as far as the amount of honey in the supers.I really hated the old type plastic,but these are a great improvement.Now if I could just figure out what the ad means when it says 'easy to clean'???

I tried freezing 10 of them then I taped them on the ground frozen. That was a mistake as all 10 came clean but 9 of 10 also broke in some way. Don't try it this way. Mine also came from Dadent.
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

Thanks for that tip.I was considering doing just that!Im sure they would also twist and warp in the solar melter.So thats out.

I do like the new plastic ones a LOT better than the old punched ones. They are round and smooth and the bees go through them much better. If anyone figures out how to clean them let the rest of us know.

Just let waxmoth to take care of cleaning.

(imitating Gollem) "Nasty little Waxie Motheses! I hates them!"

Ditto on that.I dont like encouraging the little varmits.But they never seem to get on the excluder wax here .Its a mix of new wax and propolis that they dont like, and its getting too cold for the moths here.Oh well it isnt the most pressing thing right now.There is plenty of time till spring to figure it out.(the procrastinators creed:Never do today what can be put off till tomorrow)

These plastic excluders seem not to be such a great idea afterall to me...

Ian

I like the heavy metal ones from Mann Lake. They cook nicely in the melter and the wires dont easily bend.

I've always liked the wood bound metal ones. The bees seem to like them better because there's more space to maneuver but they burr them up no matter what. That's one reason why I prefer to not use any at all unless I really need them for something.

I dont like to run any hives without excluders,because experience has shown that with out them,the queens will in most cases(in this area) lay in the supers turning the crop into brood.In a heavy flow area you could get away without them.This year the bees in our good producing yards pushed right through the excluders and made a good average.The ones in the poor areas stored most of the honey under the excluders so at least they wont need to be fed.Without the excluders ,the honey and brood would have been in the supers causing lots of problems.When it comes time to harvest ,I have to get the supers off as fast as possible to keep ahead of the mites.Without excluders the queens would have to be found ,put below ,then wait for brood to hatch,wasting too much time.Maybe pressure washing will clean the plastic ones.

When the queen lays in the supers you are also rapidly darkening the wax. This is a cause of extracting a darker honey. You should keep the comb in your super as clean and light as possible. Of course if you do not mind darkened honey then its no big deal.

I personally hate finding brood in a super. This also means that there will be extra pollem to extract as they put in with the brood.

I like excluders. Its finding what will work, thats the challenge.

I have been using the "nectar management" technique which has been written about by Walt Wright in Bee Culture recently. It is probably very similar to the unlimited brood nest technique I have seen mentioned here. My thinking is that if the bees want to expand the brood nest upward, then I'll let them. They often know more about what's going on than I do. If they are displacing a box that, in my mind, should be a super, then I add more supers above. I don't worry about the darker comb in honey supers, but if I did I would just use that darker comb first and let the bees expand into that and put the lighter comb up top. Since getting rid of excluders and using this method, swarming is easier to control (much) and my honey production has increased significantly.

------------------
    Rob Koss

>>I personally hate finding brood in a >>super. This also means that there will be >>extra pollem to extract as they put in >>with the brood.

Besides throwing the extractor out of balance,it bothers me that the pollen is in the super combs,and not in the lower boxes where it will be needed later.Pollen is a precious commodity and I want it where it will do the bees the most good raising brood in Jan and Feb before almond pollination.Like you say,finding what works is the challenge,and all areas are different.