Thread: dark wax

Hybrid View

Over the years I've been accumulating some wax that is dark in color. It's color is more towards the brown shades than the yellow. Is there any further rendering that I can do, to get it closer to the yellow side. I'd probable just make candles with it and not use it in a hive again.
    TIA

------------------
    Dave Verville
    Fremont, NH USA

High pressure filtering will remove some of the stain and lighten the wax, but it would be a little out of your rendering reach...
    I find the darker wax candles give of more of a fragrence than lighter ones, but tend to smoke a bit more

Ian

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

If you run it through a solar wax melter a few times the sun will bleach out some of color. The particulate that is in the wax will settle out and can be scrapped off. It is the least expensive option as well.

I read somewhere about bleaching it with hydrogen peroxide, but haven't tried this, so I don't know how it would be done or how well it works.

The sun will bleach it remarkably fast if you have a thin layer of it in the sun.

Cool

I have heard/read that bleaching the wax kills the pleasant oder when the wax burns as a candle. I would be more inclined to find some micropore way to filter it than to bleach it with peroxide or other chemicals. The sun way sounds good but tedious.

I've noticed when wax coating PermaComb, I get a layer on the table and it bleaches white in about a day of hard sunshine.

When the wax is liquid, though, you do notice a lot of dark particles in it. I wonder how much of that would filter out if you had a fine enough filter?

Cool

Ian,
    What do you know of high pressure filtering? What is used and invloved? Cost? More info sources?
    Thanx.
    John

I don't have such equipment, I sell my wax unrendered.
    The wax is heated and pumped through a searies of filteres, which removes alot of the propolis stain in the darker wax,
    They claim if filtered enough, most of the stain can be removed.
    Perhaps if you want more detailed info you should talk to your local rendering outfit. Thats where I heard of this being done

Ian