Anyone have experience with the two popular types of mechanical uncappers? What are the pro's and con's of these two types of uncappers? What do you like/dislike? Rather than rotary knife, I think I mean vibrating knife(Bogenshute).

[This message has been edited by beeman 202 (edited September 05, 2003).]

I have the Maxant chain uncapper and I am satisfied. I had an adjustment problem which required a modification to the pillow blocks
    but other than that it ok. It's fast an a bit expensive but well worth the time and aggravation of hand uncapping (IMHO)
    The cappings tank that goes with the unit is way under sized.

HH, were you able to make the adjustment yourself? Is it something the average semi-mechanically oriented beekeeper could do?

------------------
    Rob Koss

Smile

Rob
    You're going to need the help of a machinist if you want it made of stainless steel.
    You could try making it out of something else (maybe a hard nylon) with some wood working tools. (router, drill, saw)
    I had a piece of some black very hard nylon
    once that I think would have work.
    http://www.beesource.com/plans/pillowblock.htm

PS:The links on the PDF file are broken.

[This message has been edited by The Honey House (edited September 08, 2003).]

The one I just got from Maxant has some adjustment.I fiddled with it to try to get a compromise for thick and thin combs but still had to use the scratcher quite a bit.
    I did have to make another set of end bar guides for my wide end bar frames.Dont know if Maxant ever got caught up but it took 4 months for them to deliver me one.

Thanks HH.

------------------
    Rob Koss