Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Expensive hobby

Michael Bush or anyone else that uses them,

What is your process for making butt joints? My main concern is keeping them perfectly square. Thanks in advance

Branman,

I'm not a carpenter by any stretch of the imagination. I haven't made many boxes of my own, but when I did I made butt joints. The trick I used to keep the boxes square was to tack down a jig, or frame, on my bench top made of scrap lumber, making sure it was square. Then all I had to do was glue the joints, fit the box inside the jig, screw together and wait for the glue to set.

I am sure there are more experienced woodworkers here that can give you some good tips.

------------------
    Rob Koss

>Michael Bush or anyone else that uses them,
    What is your process for making butt joints? My main concern is keeping them perfectly square. Thanks in advance

I agree the jig is probably best, but I was a carpenter for years, so it's pretty natural for me to line something up by eye while attaching it. I guess I use what I have handy. I sometimes tack them together with a nail and then drill the pilot holes and then screw it. Sometimes I just drill a pilot hole and screw it on each corner to start with and then do the rest. But if you're making a lot a jig would be the best way.

I would say that the first thing to make sure of is that the the BUTT for the joint is perfectly SQUARE as this will help keep the joint at 90deg's. Yes the Jig would help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12