Going against the recommendations of almost everyone, I just bought some used boxes, frames, and top covers. Its not everything I need to get started, but I couldn't pass it up. I was driving by this yard sale to see if they had anything for kids (expecting my first in December) and I noticed an old garden hive in disuse. When I asked about it, the owner opened up his garage and it was filled with boxes. I bought all his mediums (6), two deeps, two queen excluders, and two outer covers for $100.00. All the supers had wooden frames and did not appear to have been used that much. There was minial propolis and most of the frames didn't even have drawn out comb but just some thin surplus foundation. The deeps had Pierco frames, but I think he had scraped any old drawn comb from them.

I probably paid too much, but I couldn't resist. I'm gonna get a blowtorch and do my best to scorch everything. I'll probably put the Pierco frames in the dishwasher. Any other advice to cleanse these things?

Thanks,
    Kai Richardson

I probably wouldn't even torch them as you discribed the condition. Unless there is a probable cause of desease it sounds like you need not worry.
    I am of the belief that torching could not possibly rid of all AFB spores if they are present. (I also do not like black soot.) It takes very little exposure to the spore and it normally outbreaks in weak hives. I believe most hives have been exposed to this spore already.

It amazes me how many times you hear about the dangers of "used" equipment, yet all beekeepers I know can not resist a good deal or a chance to buy used equipment cheap. There really isn't much dangers in used equipment if you keep your eye open and use common sense. Most deseases in general can be controlled by good beekeeping practices. I know not all will agree.

[This message has been edited by BjornBee (edited August 09, 2003).]

I think you did fine.

I'd be careful too about putting the Pierco in the dishwasher - Whatever wax is left on them (they come prewaxed) will really bugger up your dishwasher...

I'd just give them to the bees and let them clean them up. They will polish them spotless anyway.

I'm a bit hesitant to use these at all. I have already decided to use all mediums in my hives and can't really think of a way to use the deeps with the Piercos as giant honey supers. Besides, the Pierco's have what I assume to be the left over bottom part of brood cocoons that could not be scraped off. (Blackish/brown in color) Would the bees clean this off?

T

They won't clean it off, they will just use it. You could boil that off if you want, but I'm not sure why you can't just cut it off. It will be a bit crispy from the cocoons, but should cut with a sharp knife.

You DON'T want a deep honey super, unless you build some four frame ones and put two abreast on. A full deep is a two man job to move. Unfortunately, right now, because of my converting to mediums, I have several full of honey. I left them on above an excluder when they were full of brood and now they are full of honey.

I cut a lot of deeps down to medium depth, just watch out for the nails/screws. My tablesaw made quick work of it. The cutoffs will make into handy project material later.

If you are intent on using the perco, why not try cutting that down too? Slap it on the tablesaw and use a fine sawblade.

My intention is to salvage and use as much of this stuff as possible. So, I think I will take your advice and cut those deeps and the Pierco frames down to medium size, then use those deeps only in the brood chambers.

Hmmm...I guess this means I have to buy a table saw! Gosh darn! heheh...

Kai

You could cut them down with a Skil saw with a bit of rigging. Dale

A table saw would be handy. I've never owned one. I just cut everything with a skill saw, but I've had decades of practice.

Thanks for all the help. I'm going to use my father-in-laws table saw and cut these down to size.

Kai