Hybrid View

I saw a picture of one, but there was no explanation of its use.

Using a queen right hive as a cell builder. I'll give you more details when I finally get may Snelgrove book on queen rearing.

Michael, the Ohio Queen Breeder's (http://www.ohioqueenbreeders.com/queen_rearing.htm) web page has info on how they use queenright colonies as starter/finishers. I'm curious if you've read or tried their method. I plan on trying it next season.

------------------
    Rob Koss

I just started on it Friday. I have the eggs in the Jenter box (a variation) and will rearrange the hive tommorow. I built a Floor Without a Floor which I think is similar if not identical to a Snelgrove board, to use instead of their recommended plastic bottom (which I don't own). That way I will arrange it tommorow with the bottom in and simply pull the board out at three days into the process to make it a queen right cell finisher. It already looks promising as I have a lot of bees in the top box already paying a lot of attention to my empty queen cups.

If you don't mind keep us up to date on how it works - I was planning on using a double screen in place of the plastic bottom, but that may change between now and then. Don't know if I'm going to try to graft or take another shot with my Nicot system.

------------------
    Rob Koss

Do you want the original use that snelgrove used it for or what it is mainly used for nowadays?

Well Snelgrove used it as a method of swarm control. In effect it was used to produce a 2 queen colony. The the doors were worked to milk off the bees from the top to the bottom. For more details get Snelgroves book; Swarming: it's control & prevention. Try the method out I liked it in the good old days but prefer to keep things simpler nowadays.

Today the boad is mainly used to make a split which is piggybacked on top of the parent. Or to winter nucs over a parent, ect.

Clay

What I built is a 3/4" shim sort of like a Imirie shim, except it protrudes out the front and ahs a 1x2 landing board underneath. The 3/4" shim has a 3/8" x 3/8" groove for a 3/16" piece of laun ply to slide into to make a floor. That way if you slide the floor in you have two hives, one on top of the other, with both having an entrance. If you shake all the bees in the top the field bees will exit and go back to the bottom section and the nurse bees will stay in the top. If you have queen cups in the top, it is now queenless. Now by simply removing the board you have a queen right cell builder because you have united them. I have no screen in the plywood.

So Michael how did your experiment work?

They started 5 queen cells. I would have done better, I think, if it hadn't been raining the day I was arranging things and I let the queen go in the bottom box before I remembered to shake it out in the top box. Anyway, I should have also put some vasoline on the edges of the board so they wouldn't stick it down. It worked well.

Hey thats great I am thinking about using one or a nuc not sure but the boars sounds great!