Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Plastic foundation

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mrbillz 
#1 ·
I recieved a super with white plastic foundation in it from a friend. I have never dealt with plastic before but I do like how it looks.

About five of the frames are completely free of dirt, wax, or anything else. The other 5 have the remains of brood cell "Film" thats left after brood emerges. One of these frames has a small amount of drawn wax, perhaps 1/4 inch out.

Should these frames be coated or sprayed with wax, or just put into the hive as is.

I purchased some all one piece frame/foundation awhile back and really liked it. It was white and came already coated with wax. This stuff I have now is just hard pressed plastic and has no wax, just the pattern.

Comments?

#2 ·
>About five of the frames are completely free of dirt, wax, or anything else. The other 5 have the remains of brood cell "Film" thats left after brood emerges. One of these frames has a small amount of drawn wax, perhaps 1/4 inch out.

>Should these frames be coated or sprayed with wax, or just put into the hive as is.

I usually try to buy plastic wax coated. But if it already is drawn out at all you don't have to worry about acceptance. Chances are the other plastic was also in the hive and has been polished by the bees so they will probably accept it just as readily. I'd just put it in.

#3 ·
I started my hives w/ all plastic - They send a notice suggesting that bare foundation should be sprayed w/ syrup and to not try to introduce plastic and wood together as the bees will ignore the plastic. They don't have a choice in mine but have drawn it into beautiful comb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.