Question

Greetings . . .

On Forum 12/000117, July 10 @ 8:02AM, Michael Bush stated, "When you hive a package, using a queen excluder is useful".

Please elaborate.

thanx,
    Dave W

was that where he mentioned using it as a queen includer .
    Joens

It's useful as a queen includer. You put it on the bottom board and the queen can't LEAVE. That way the package won't abscond. Once the queen is laying and there is open brood you can remove it.

Question

Is a package (without brood) likely to abscond?

I've had it happen a couple of times with a package but not often. It's more likely when doing a shakedown for small cell, if you don't use the includer.

A package put on foundation without having immediate access to syrup may leave soon after hiving just as a swarm might under the same conditions.A package or swarm put on at least a couple of drawn combs has a much greater chance of staying put.I always feed swarms for the same reason unless there is already honey in the combs.A frame of unsealed brood added to a swarm upon hiving almost guarantees they will not leave.

Certainly the best thing to do is try to make them WANT to stay. (feeding, combs etc.) But MAKING them stay isn't a bad additional step. I always take it back off as soon as there is open brood. They will not leave after that.

I installed a package on May 3rd and another on May 5th. On May 6th the May 3rd package 'disappeared'. I later found they were having a big old party with the May 5th bunch. The marked May 3rd queen was the winner and still lives in the May 5th hive. That was my introduction to absconding.

Anyway, if I had only known about the queen excluder trick...

Actually that's been what has happened when mine absconded. They just all moved in next door.