I was just reading the following web page: http://www.beeworks.com/ModKit.htm
    and the info sounds good. The 10-frame WBC hive plans elsewhere on this site show a ventilated (?) cover. Is what the webpage describing "just" a bottom board and hive stand that is turned 90 degrees in fabrication (possibly with screen bottom board) and a hive cover that is ventilated? Is the hive inner cover screened as well so bees wont build into the telescoping cover? Enquiring soon to be new-bee beekeeper wants to know!

Nancy

>I was just reading the following web page: http://www.beeworks.com/ModKit.htm
    and the info sounds good. Is what the webpage describing "just" a bottom board and hive stand that is turned 90 degrees in fabrication (possibly with screen bottom board) and a hive cover that is ventilated? Is the hive inner cover screened as well so bees wont build into the telescoping cover? Enquiring soon to be new-bee beekeeper wants to know!

The DE vent kit is very nice. I own a number of them (I lost count) I've built a number of simpler versions that are not quite as versitile. The inner cover has three holes in it all screened with hardware cloth. The vent boxes on top all have screened holes in them. The bees cannot get into the ventilation area. You can do something similar, but without as much control over the ventilation between winter and summer, by simply taking an old super and drill some holes angled up (so the water will run down if it blows in) and covering with screen wire. Put a couple more holes in the inner cover (I like to make them the size of a mason jar lid so I can put a feeder in there) and cover all the holes in the inner cover with 7 or 8 mesh hardware cloth. (just staple it on). Put the inner cover on, then the vent box, then your current telescopic cover and put a block or brick on top and you have a ventilated hive. The DE kit has the advatage that there are two vent boxes and by reversing one you can change the amount of ventilation from wide open for summer to just a little for winter. The DE kit also has the advantage of a bottom board turned 90 degress which is easier to work and provides more opening for ventilation in the front. The bottom board has a single sheet of plywood for the bottom and could easily be cut out and covered with hardware cloth to make it a Screened Bottom Board. The hive stand for the DE kit is also nice. It's treated wood so it won't rot and sets the hive low on the ground so it doesn't get so tall. All the parts for the DE kit are quite light weight using a lot of exterior 1/4" laun plywood. I have had some painted and some I didn't get around to and they all weather very well.

I highly recommend the kit, and if you don't want to spend the money, I reccomend building something like it. Before I put the first one on there was a beard three feet up the hive at night. I put the vent kit on and there were no more than a few bees on the front after that. They all went inside. The hives I've had them on have swarmed less and produced more.

I am thinking that a SBB will add a lot of ventilation and it may make me rethink how I do the top ventilation. Maybe just the one inner cover hole instead of three and just a couple of vents on the vent box.