I have seen a picture of the swarm trap that Dadant sells, but can't find anything else on the web. Where can I find the MDA box? Is using a box better than using the swarm trap Dadant sells? A lady in New Mexico told me she just uses a 5-gal plastic bucket with window screen inside and holes drilled around the top and bottom. Anyone have experience with various types of containers for catching swarms?

I'vehad good luck just using an empty hive. also the swarm lure thatyou can buy work's .I've bought 5 vail's of the stuff & have caught 7 swarm's this season.

>I have seen a picture of the swarm trap that Dadant sells, but can't find anything else on the web. Where can I find the MDA box?
    http://hermes.spaceports.com/~mdabees/main.html

Dadant has the wax coated cardboard version of the same. The wax coated doesn't weather as well as the plasic, but the plastic is a bit flexible and I have frames falling in all the time because of that.

>Is using a box better than using the swarm trap Dadant sells?

The advantage to the box over the trap is that if you don't check it for a few days they bees are building on frames (if you put them in) instead of random combs.

>A Lady in New Mexico told me she just uses a 5-gal plastic bucket with window screen inside and holes drilled around the top and bottom.

I'm sure it would work, except for the problem of them getting settledin and building comb willy nilly.

>Anyone have experience with various types of containers for catching swarms?

I think the thing that weathers the best and attracts the most is old used hives. Nail the bottom on to make it eaiser to move and figure a way to hang it 8 feet or so up in a tree. A wooden nuc box is easier to hang in the tree.

As for lure, I've bought the swarm lure. I've also bought lemongrass oil. The bees seem to be interested in both at about the same level. The lemongrass oil was cheaper.

Observation along the same point: I have about 8 hives on one side of my property. Along side of my garage, about 200 yards away I have an old hive or two that needs cleaned. At least three mornings I have noticed 5-20 bees scouting the boxes. Since there is no honey or pollen in them, most bees now ignore them. Anyways, later those same days I have come home and found swarms. None surprisingly have move in. But what a great way to forcast impending swarms.
    Last evening and again this morning there were bees checking these boxes. Will be surprised if another swarm is ready tonight.

I do hate to let bees swarm without any control but these are hives I picked up and play with on a rergular basis and rob brood and reserves from if needed for another apiary. I kind of let them do what they want.

I also prefer old hive boxes and do sometimes buy lures. Buying swarm boxes are a waste in my opinion.