Those of you using SBB how are you setting them up? On Concrete blocks? Regular hive stands? Wooden block? I wonder about the ants crawling up the grass and into the hive. Also about the amount of draft underneath (not enough vs too much). I'm trying mine several ways, but I am curious what others are doing and how it's working.

I built a hive stand out of steel last Fall that has three legs along the length of it, sunk in concrete and post holes, with the platform sitting one foot off the ground. It is built of 4" steel channel and cee purlin, and bolted together. If I could post a photo, I would. It worked great, and I can put a sticky barrier on the legs to keep ants out of the hives. If you want to see a photo, there is one posted on the GardenWeb forum in the beekeeping gallery section ("hivestand for hobbyists" on page two of the gallery photos).

[This message has been edited by dragonfly (edited June 16, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by dragonfly (edited June 16, 2003).]

I am making my own SBB's. I make mine with a removable bottom tray. I set my hives on 3" cinder blocks lain three tight in a row to make a solid base, either two or three high.

In the winter I keep the tray inserted and there is still plenty of draft. I have never had a winter loss.

In the spring I remove the tray except to monitor the mites.

In the summer I remove the middle block to allow more ventilation.

In the fall I re-insert the middle block.

One of the experiments that I have had limited success with is the use of top entrances and screened bottom boards with no lower entrance.

New hives, and small colonies took well to them and enter and exit as they should and are building very well.

But those stupid SMR's and my extremely strong ex-Buckfast, now NWC, still set on the porch and try to enter the bottom via the bottom tray. They set there and block the air flow and never get inside.

The problem is that I used the screens that are intended to set on a regular bottom board. I trimmed the lower block that went where the entrance was on a regular BB a 1/4" so I could slide a 1/8" tray in and blocked the new entrance above that so the bees could not enter and would have to use the upper entrance.

So on two of five hives that use this type of bottom they just sit there and grow a long beard until they swarm I guess. I've tried proping the boxes apart to provide an entrance and bait them up, that helped some with the NWC some but not the SMR.

In hindsight I should have turned the boards 180. I am going to give up on that design and make more of the SBB's with the trays, they are proving to work very well.

By the way, my last weekly mite count for the week long drop was zero. yea, so now if I could just get them to make honey...

Bill

Hello Michael

I came up with something close to what Dragonfly came up with. It is a rectangular steel frame welded ontop of a 3 inch steel pipe five feet long. I sank three to four feet into the ground at a slight forward angle packing the dirt tightly around the pipe, no concrete though. Didn't know if I would need to move it one day. I have the ramped hive stand sitting on top of the frame with the sbb on top of that. Have angle clips on the corners to keep it from shifting side to side. I use an ant barrier consisting of a tree sap around the pipe at about ground level.

I only have three hives, guess it would be alot of work for someone who had many. There are a few questions i do have about this set up though. I use the dadant sbb's that don't have a sticky board or tray, so its only open to the ground. Don't know what I am gonna do come winter time, try to block it off or just ride it out. Central California winters are not the cold. And am also wondering if the light is becoming an issue as well, As two of the three queens were in the upper chambers. But I don't have a good way to count mite fall yet either, as i am fogging weekly now.

Have noticed a big fall off in bees out front fanning cool air into the hive since i started using them.

Dale

Greetings . . .

What an honor! To answer a question FOR Micheal Bush.

My hive stand looks like a "deep-super-on-legs". It has an attached, sloped, landing board, 2" PVC legs (won't rot) that sit in oil-filled (FGMO) cans and so far, no ants. The "super" is 6" off the ground and has an opening in BACK that accomadates (choice) 1)Slatted Rack, 2)Solid BB, 3)Screened BB w/pull-out tray, 4)Pollen Trap. (Slatted Rack and BB's can be used in any combination)
    This winter, I plan to fully enclose the area under the stand to provide a "dead-air space".

My package was installed on the SBB w/ tray closing off any 'draft'. I have checked often (weekly) for mites. So far, None. I do find (and remove) a lot of debris (1/4 cup x 2 times). Just open the SSB today, 6/17/03.

Hope this info helps!
    Dave W

Dave, that sounds pretty neat. Is there a way we could see a diagram, or at least a picture?

Bill

I'm with Bill. I'd love to see a picture.

Greetings . . .

I do not own a digital camera and I don't have a scanner. But, I do have 35mm photos and my cad drawings. If my old 486 w/ 3.1 could somehow do the job, I would be glad to share my design.

thanx for asking!
    Dave W

My SBB's are really double hive screened pallets with monitor boards. The hive are secured with commercial pallet clips, and have slatted racks, which have two wide notches on the bottom front to serve as the entrance. I have eight pallets mounted on a steel flatbed, which can be picked up by my debris box truck. The pallets are in two rows with the entrances facing the center.
    It is my first year on this setup, the SBB did not help reduce swarming, which was rampant. There is some difficulty in working the hives in this setup when supered, as they are only 1/2" apart. Will post some pictures soon.