Hi all,

Last season I purchased two new smokers from Mann Lake. The smoker itself seems to be excellent operating quite well and all. But, the bellows on these smoker are well, rather poor. After the first season the bellows now have small holes wearing in the corners and down the sides. Anyone have any ideas on how to repair the bellows (other than the all time favorite duct tape)? Also something that could be used maybe to preserve the material from just wearing out so fast? I'm rather disappointed in the material here that should hold up to work, especially when charged the price.

Clay

Prevention:
    Some of the bellows are leather. In which case I would treat them with Neatsfoot oil, or, just as good, rub them down with vasoline. If they are sythetic you could use the Armor All on them.

Repair.
    Hard to say what will stick, but if it's vinyl I think the waterbed repair kit patches should stick. If it's leather, Use some cloth and some cloth glue to make a patch.

Kits:
    Several suppliers sell just the bellows as a repair kit. Unfortunately they seem to cost almost as much as the smoker.

Big Grin

Greetings . . .

You could remove your old bellows (Staples & metal bands) and using the old part as a template, cut a new one from scrap car upholstery material. Any good grade vinyl will work fine. Leather (salvage from old coat?) might last longer, if treated regularly.

Good Luck!
    Dave W

Thanks guys. Will try to patch first. If if just doesn't work out will try option #2.

Clay

might want to consider some of that "GOOP" stuff which is a very tough resiliant rubber stuff - It can be thinned and painted on, seems to adhere well...

just my .02.

I think you're right. That "Shoe goo" stuff would probably work.

Lightbulb

Just a thought Do you have a shoe or boot repair shop in town? You should be able to pick up some very durable leather at a boot repair shop. I know of course that you are in NY so I don't know if y'all have boot repair shops or not.

Lightbulb

They could get some leather over in Buffalo, maybe even some chaps!