Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Glass front bee veil

7K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
In desperation at not being able to spot the queen I'm about to destroy a bee veil and install a plastic sheet of "Glass" in the front. It seems like a good idea. Either it's a bad idea or people have done this a long time ago. Has anyone tried this? Is there one available in a catolog somewhere? I haven't seen one.
If this works at finding the queen, I'm going to give some thought at what to build so that I can find the hive tool that I JUST PUT DOWN!

Thanks,

Dickm

#2 ·
I don't think it will help find a queen, but I think it will help seeing eggs. The queen just takes practice. I have a lot of trouble between my glasses and the veil seeing eggs. I have no trouble if I take off the veil, take off my glasses and put my face two inches from the frame. Yea right!

I have considered doing this myself. Let me know how it turns out.

#4 ·
You've seen those key chains with a retractable cable so the keys stay attached? Maybe you should attach it to one of those through a hole in the tool. Then you CAN'T lay it down.

When I was doing concrete work for a couple of years, I painted all my tools florescent orange because they would get layed on the ground and get a little dirt kicked on them and were very hard to find. Especially by those 18 year old kids who used my tools and never bought their own. It does help.

#10 ·
Greetings . . .

I have a Kelley Square Folding veil. With poor eyesight, bifocal lines, and the grid of the screen, I could not see how to walk!

Here's how I solved my problem:
Purchased clear plastic replacement lens for a saftey face shield ($5.00??)
Cut stitching and removed front screen.
Measured screen (mine was 8x10"). Cut clear lens using sharp knife (box cutter).
Using very small drill bit, drilled holes 1/4" apart, 1/4" from edge of plastic.
Sew into veil. (Takes about 90 min)

WORKS GREAT! I have no problem w/ fogging. Seeing eggs still difficult unless I have bright sunlight over my shoulder.

SUGGESTION:
When I replace the scratched lens, I think I'll sew Velco into the veil, and use sticky Velco on edge of plastic. Should make replacement a lot quicker.

Hope this helps!
Dave W

#12 ·
I have an Optivisor that I use when working on firearms and looking at bees. Order from Brownells @ $33.00, much less than the bee catalogs. They have extra lens plates in different power amplifications $20. They also make an optiloupe for $6.35.

Perhaps you could velcro the lens plate or loupe to the top of the glass front veil?

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.