Thread: marking hives

Question

I was thinking of marking my hives with small black numbers to make record keeping easier . Has anyone done anything like that? Is there a better way ? none of the beekeepers I have visited have used any markings on the hives with the exception of one painting hives different colors .
    Joens

Depends how detailed of records you want to keep in determining the marking recording method. I used to keep a log book, detailed records,etc, and now I simplified it a bit. Seems I would forget to write something down, or forget my book at a remote apaiary, etc. Then it just ended up sitting on the back seat of the jeep for awhile.....

Read awhile back about just keeping a brick on top of each hive. Flat means its good and no problems, sitting sideways means medication or transition hive, and standing on end means either needs queen or emergency feeding. I probably rely on the bricks more now than any other comments I may write down. I sometimes use a grease pen on the top cover for anything else like the queen year, etc.

Whenever I go out to any apiary site I always have an extra super, etc. for whatever may arise that particular day. So when I leave the problem is corrected and no big detailed notes required.

A scrap piece of lumber can be used with the number on it and anything else you care to put on it with a laundry marker (waterproof you see). Just leave it on the lid for weight. You can still keep detailed notes in a notebook, but the basics you can write on the scrap. (queen year, problems, aggressivness etc.) That way if you change the numbering of a hive you don't have some number on the box that gets crossed out and have to write another one next to it. You can just get anohter scrap from time to time to replace that one when the number is outdated or the information has filled up the scrap piece.

Joens:I once knew an old beekeeper that liked thing's neat,& he used them number tag's that they use on cattle,used a push pin to hang them.It does look neat,but I'm like BjornBee,I'd forget to write it down,or have the notebook in the other truck when I needed it,but I still liked the look's of the cow tag's mark

In my thirty third year of beekeeping I finally numbered my hives and keep notes. It doesn't take that much time and is a big help to read them before opening the hive before it's next inspection.

Wink

i have found that my notebook really comes in handy.....when lighting my smoker.