Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I like the concept of latex moulds. This would save the problem and expense of finding someone with a kiln and hiring the firing of a clay or bisque mould. Would the flexibility of the latex be a problem or a hindrance? I suppose one could pour a side of the mould and then place a thin perforated hardboard of some type on it before it is set, and pour more latex on that to make it a part of the mould and thereby make it stiffer and stronger? Is that unnecessary busywork? Great ideas from everyone.

i think i would like to try the latex...anyone know where i can order some or where do get it
    chris

Greetings,

Latex can be purchased at any art supply store. Sometimes they sell it in small containers but most will order larger quantities for you.

Regards
    Dennis

BWrangler, How is the expermint coming. For indexing the 2 plates together could you take something like a dowel pin and make an indention in the lower plate and then have a protrusion on the top plate to match? Maybe on two corners so it couldn't be matched up wrong. Just a thought, Dale

Greetings,

I have put my tests on hold for awhile but will get back to them in a couple of months.

Dennis

You would paint thin coats of latex, waiting for each to dry a before adding the next coat. Eventually 5 to 10 coats might be needed. After a few coats, you could put cheesecloth down before adding more latex. That will give it some more strength (but less flexibility). Eventually, you would want to pour plaster on top of the latex to make what's called a mother mold, which is a form on which the wobbly latex will sit.
    However if I recall... latex will shring a little bit too.
    I still think hydrocal would be the best.
    Alejandro

------------------

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12