Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Painting Hives;Again

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
While painting a new batch of nuc boxes this morning,I wondered if I'm the only one who paints the frame rests.It seems as if the bees propilise the painted rests less,or maybe they're just easier to scrape.
Jack

#2 ·
Jack, over the years (since '68), I've noticed the same thing. Treating the frame rests DEFINITELY reduces the amount of propolizing in this area. This is improtant to me because I use PermaComb, the fully drawn plastic comb. If the box is too small for the comb or if I shove PermaComb into boxes with propolis on the ends of the frames or on the frame rests, this puts pressure on the plastic comb causing it to warp in the summer's heat. Painting the frame rests definitely reduces propolizing by the bees in the frame rest areas.
Thanx.

#4 ·
Since I started using mineral oil on the top bars, I also found that anywhere there's a problem with propolizing or burr comb that the mineral oil seems to help. Even if they still propolize it, the propolis is softer. I haven't tried painting the rests, so I don't have a comparison between the two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.