Thread: Hive Scales

Question

Good Morning!

I often read about using a scales to weigh a hive. What type of scales do you use?

Dave W

I carried enough 50 lb bags of feed, 50 lb boxes of nails, 100 lb bags of feed, I just heft it and guess.

In the Book "50 years amoung Bees" Dr C.C. Miller shows how to use the old fashion spring scales to lift a hive. Dale

Hi Dave and Everyone,

I have had the same experience as Michael and have lifted thousands of hives to estimate their weight.

When indoor wintering I needed a more accurate figure so I use a bathroom scale. My hives are set on pallets and I lift on end of the hive and place the scale between the pallet and the bottom board to get a value. With a few tests and a little experience, an accurate figure can be obtained.

I no longer winter indoors but still use the scales as I couldn't get within 30lbs with my hefting.

This method doesn't give a continous reading through the season but meets my needs.

Dennis

[This message has been edited by BWrangler (edited February 10, 2003).]

My son is a catfish fisherman and he has a fish scale that goes over 100 pounds. You could just hook it on the back of the bottom board and lift until it moves to see the weight of the hive.

I beleive he bought it from Cabela's.