I'm looking for advice on honey heaters similar to the one in beesource plans.what temp should I be using and for how long?I tried 95 then 100 and finally 105.It took 8 days to clarify slightly crystalized honey.I have a fan so the temp is consistant throughout.Ihad 48 1lb jars w/air space between them.
    Thanks,Jack

Hello Jack -

Having the same heater that is on beesource, I usually have mine set at 110 degrees and get 5 gallon buckets liquid overnight. If you have the time, lower temps at longer times is better for the honey. A good page that gives data on this is:
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~jtemp/EnzThem.html

Regards,
    Barry

Thanks Barry,
    What wattage are your bulb(s)?I'm presently using a single 60 watt bulb but plan to switch to 100 watt to speed warm up time.

The URL was a wake up re. microwaving honey.I have used one in the past but never again.
    Jack

Lightbulb

Jack -

I use three, 100 watt bulbs. It gets the temperature up quick. The thermostate I used has a 4 or 5 degree drop limit before it kicks on. 110 degrees is still not overly high as it gets this hot for extended periods of time in the Southwest. I would not go above 120 degrees.

Regards,
    Barry

On making a heater box can you tell me where to get a thermostat. thanks mark

Mark

Walter Kelley 1-800-233-2899

heat limit control cat.no.250 $42.00(2002price)

Jack

Arrow

I purchased mine from Surplus Center (1-800-488-3407) for under $10.00 but I don't think they have them anymore. Their inventory changes so it would be something you would have to keep checking on. Call and get a catalog.

W.W. Grainger also sells a suitable remote bulb thermostat.

Mfr.: Sunne
    Mfr. model: TC119
    Grainger stock no. 2E848
    Cost: $52.01

If you want to go cheep I use a wall dimmer switch and a 150watt bulb with a digatel thometar I am going to add a fan as the temp will varry by 20 degrees from top to bottem

Hello Everyone,

Another cheap solution for temp control is the 120V heater thermostat used to control household baseboard heaters. They can be bought for less than $20 at most building supply stores.

They are controlled by a pneumatic diaphram and a set of contact points. The upper temp limits on the dial are generally about 90 degrees F but this can be circumvented by bending down a stop tab underneath the dial.

Of course the higher settings will have to be calibrated with a thermometer and then the dial marked for the appropriate setting.

Most have at least a 5 degree differential between the on and off switching.

Best Wishes
    Dennis