Question

Does anyone use one of the super lifts or hive elevators like the one kelleys advertises on page 50 of their new catalog? Was wondering if anyone has made one or has plans that I can take to my local fabricator and see if he can beat that $900 price tag. Sure would be nice on the back this upcoming fall.

Bill

I've never used one, but I've always thought if I had a really large operation I'd buy one. It does look like it would save a lot of back breaking work.

Gunner63 - Plans for a simple Hive Carrier can be found on page 31 of the Feb'03 issue of Bee Culture.

Dave W

Yes, but this isn't a hive carrier we are talking about. It's the coolest thing ever in a honey house. You put it on the front of a nose truck (read dolly) and you load it with supers and roll it to where you want it. Then you set the height to what is comfortable for you to lift from and everytime you remove a super the remaining supers are brought up to that height again, so you never have to bend over to lift a super again. Of course you have to have a thousand hives to pay for it, but wow! would it be nice.

Here's what I do.
    I bought one of those el-cheapo lift tables
    from a company like Northern Supply. I bought
    the smallest one. I stack the supers
    on it when it's set to it lowest point.
    then as I clear a box, I rise the table up
    to height. Although it doesn't save all of the back work is saves on a couple of steps.
    And at my age .........
    Also I use it when I'm bottling honey.
    I set to down and with a pulley arrangement, empty a sixty into the tank.
    Then when it's full, I pump it up to comfortable working height with my table and chair.

[This message has been edited by The Honey House (edited February 28, 2003).]