Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cool

Swarmtrapper;

The extended extraction time is directly dependent on the temperature of the honey when extracted. For me, this amounts to ~15 to 20% longer. (Gives me more time to get more frames ready for the next extractor load).

Since I have only medium supers, I can tell you what I use. I keep 2 sizes handy - the 3" and 5 " sizes. The 3 incher is for low areas in the comb or subsurface cappings (PermaComb) and the 5" size when all cappings are on the same level. For full depth honey frames, I'm sure Hackler makes larger sizes. To find you what they are and prices, call him. Also, his website address is on this site somewhere.

Hope this helps.

John

Question

what do the bees do with he cappings? they still store necter in the cells right

Cool

Yeah, the bees remove the punctured cappings, refill the cells with honey and recap. A no brainer for the bees.

Thanx.

John

I broke down and bought a honey punch (5 1/8 size) I extracted two deeps and it went okay I learnd to make sure you have hot water to dip it in and I dont just roll lightly I press not hard but firm (it makes a bigger hole) the 2 best things were that there was no mes and It went faster!!!!!!!!

I am very curious about the idea of dipping the punch in hot water - is there any concern about raising the moisture content of the honey? I am very interested in using PC for honey supers and have been thinking about the uncapping process, using the Hackler honey punch, etc. The idea of dipping the punch in hot water sounds good, but what about getting water in the honey?

------------------
    Rob Koss

Cool

Rob, I was concerned about this when I first started using one in 75. Give it a good shake between frames and there is no measurable increase of moisture in the honey when comparing honey extracted with a hot knife and using the punch. Use an old crock pot set on high to keep the punch in between frames. Use a small cooking grate between the punch and the bottom of the pot to keep from damaging the punch.
    Thanx.
    John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12