Thread: Glues

In reading this board I have seen people using different glues for assembling hives and frames.
    In my research I have found that Titebond II to be safe and approved by the FDA. But there are people using glues that are not on their frames. As an example Gorilla Glue which is very strong but is not FDA approved as it contains prepolymized MDI and Diphenyl methane-4 which are both toxic. less toxic when dry.
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

I use the Titebond II and the Elmer's equivilant. I have not tried anything else.

I only use gorilla glue in the hive body joints. I use titebond on frames, if I use any at all.
    I never really thought about using gorilla glue on frames, bet it would tighten them up though! I look at it like this, there are many toxins that bees probably get into anyway, and that little bit of resin that they might get exposed to is going to be very minute. Further, in a month they will have covered the frame with propulous. Now, we need to wonder if the sap they used was from a toxic tree..

Just my opinion...

------------------
    Dale Richards
    Dal-Col Apiaries
    Drums, PA

Thanks for the information on the glues. All of you long time beekeepers are really helping us newbees.
    What I need to know is what kind if safe caulk can I use on a Miller feeder? Will bathroom caulk work? All I need to know is a brand name.
    Thank you all.
    Bigearl

Bigearl
    I have used Dow Silicon caulking and as long as it has cured before you put it in service I don't think there is any problems and they don't leak..

The ones I have bought from a commercial supply had silicone already on them. I sealed with polyurthane.
    Bill

I think if you seal the caulking with polyurethane, it won't make much of a difference. Polurethane is basically a plastic resin, so you are really coating the caulking with plastic. At least thats the way I look at it.

It wasn't the silicon that I was trying to seal with the polyurthane, it was for the wood. The silicon was already in the cracks and corners.
    Bill