Question

Clint:

Fiberglass resin may seal a feeder very well, but how toxic is it to your bees and more important, how much is in there honey?

If a feeder is well-made with food-grade, water-resistant glue, why is it necessary to coat the entire inside of the feeder?

Big Grin

as far as I have tested fiberglass reson in my 5 years using it, I have found no contamination to the bees or honey or any by-product from the hives when using it alone without any coloring or fiberglass mat. When studying it I have found on the MSDS lable that when cured it is almost sterile.
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

Big Grin

SECOND QUESTION
    The reason I use it is because I must be a poor carpenter as my feeders seem to develope leaks thrugh the years. Water proof glue? If you read the labels most glues that say waterproof aren't. Just water resistant. Also what if your wood warps? are you just going to throw it out?
    Clint

The only waterproof glue, that actually seems to be waterproof, that I know of is Gorilla glue. I know its a polyurethane based glue, and it works very well. I have no long term time tested feeders from it yet, but so far so good. I put two coats of polyurethane on my feeders too though.

------------------
    Dale Richards
    Dal-Col Apiaries
    Drums, PA

I have used Gorilla Glue on hive parts and frames for a few years with no noticed ill effects.