What kind of wood should one use in
    building hive bodies?

I just use #2 pine.

Big Grin

This is my first year but my bees seem to like my choice in wood. I used #2 eastern white pine for all the boxes and SPF 2x6 for the frames. I think the 2x6 was fir.

Big Grin

Go to an old Ma and Pop saw mill and get some cypress. Its about 80 cents a board foot.

I've made them out of scrap wood. I've used cedar, pine, 3/4" scrap plywood. But I'm cheap. I usually try to buy #3 pine if I can cull through the wood and find tight enough knots. It depends on what is available.

BILLY BOB Guest

If you have under 10 hives go out and get the best wood you can find. Cypress is a good one you don't even have to paint it.

If you have more than 10 hives, use whatever you can find.

Is spruce acceptable to make hives with? Are there any types of wood I should avoid other than really pricey wood?

Spruce will work. My guess is that pine is cheaper and lighter, but if you can get spruce cheaply, it's very durable and strong, and almost as light as pine.

somehow spruce is the cheapest stuff I can find here retail. I still can't really make it cheap enough to behoove me to make my own boxes yet.

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

You will most likely not be able to find lumber at lumber yards at prices to allow you to build cheaper then you can buy pre-cut boxes for. Shipping charges can change that, thou.
    If you want to build your own equipment, you will need to seek out a small local mill as a supply for lumber.
    If you are in Atlanta, I would have to say that you'll have to take a drive to find a supply mill.

I can get cheap bandsawed cypress near me, but can anyone tell me if the bandsawed stuff is smooth enough for a hive body? Do I must plane it before I use it? I am assuming someone out there is familiar with a bandsaw finish.... it is pretty smooth, but not like a planed board though.

I suppose it takes a bit more propolis to coat it. But bees coat the inside of of trees and that's a lot rougher. Cypress will last better than most anything and is lightweight. I would use it if it was available for a reasonable price. It's worth a couple of dollars more per box for the cypress.

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

Rough cut lumber is fine. I use it all of the time. I take care of the outside with paint and they take care of the inside.