Thread: ross rounds?

Hybrid View

Question

New beekeeper here. I have two new hives that are about two weeks old. I have a medium super with Pierco frames ready to go for both of them but have been intrigued by the ross round system. I am not even quite sure if I will have any honey to harvest this year because they are new hives but was curious about your opinions on what kind of supers I should be using. Can you mix different kinds of supers on hives? How may supers do you think I will need this first season? I originally purchased one brood chamber and one super for each hive thinking that was going to be enough for the season but after doing al ot of reading here and at other websites I am getting more hopeful on my possible yield!

------------------
    Emmy

Question

Greetings,

Are your two new hives, package bees, Nucs? or full established hives?

This will assist in any advise forth coming

Chuck

They are both package hives that I installed two weeks ago.

When ever you under take the task of Comb Honey You really must have a strong hive and a very strong honey flow. You also need to take care not to lose your bees to a swarm.

I would recommend that you start with cut comb honey from your bee till they get much stronger in numbers (maybe next year) and you have a bit more experience. I would really dislike to see you fail in your intital attempts in comb honey.

Chuck