Thread: frame nails

Hybrid View

I was wondering if anyone knows of any reason(s) not to use galvanized nails on frames? I want to use my nail gun and all the brad nails that I have access to are galvanized. So far I see no problems with them, they do not split the wood and hold very tight. What I am concerned with is there any possible contamination with the honey or with the bees themselves? or any other problems?

thanks for your suggestions...

Typically you treat galvanized metal, that will come in contact with honey, with a food grade paint such as with extractors. I have to believe to what little will come in contact with the heads of the frame nails would not give reason for concern. However, if I had a choice, I'd use cement coated verses galvanized. I don't see it as an issue to be concerned about.

Regards,
    Barry

Thanks for the information. If I could find nail-gun nails that are cement coated I would use them. All I can find is galvanized. I will keep looking though. Thanks again.

Cool

Galvanized, or even regular brads from an air nailer shouldn't be an issue on frames. If you set the nailer to countersink 1/16" or a little more, the wood will simply close behind it and the bees won't have any contact with it. You could always have a chunk of beeswax standing by and push some in the hole if you are worried about it, but that is probably not worth the time if you are assembling a number of frames.