Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

IPM/Screen Bottom Board Materials

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ckinser 
#1 ·
I just downloaded plans from Bee-Source for building screen bottom boards. I have some scrap western red cedar and some plywood. I have two questions: 1) Is the red cedar ok to use for the side supports; and 2) Is the plywood ok to use for the frame? The plans show plywood as an option, but I am concerned about the glue and/or formaldehyde (if any) contained in the wood. Will this hurt the bees, or will they be ok if everything is painted?

#2 ·
The red cedar should be an excellent choice for the bottom board construction(some rot resistance)And the plywood will not bother the bees at all.I have used scrap plywood in many bee box parts(some painted some not)with no ill effects whatsoever.I have two top-bar hives that are completely built of 3/4 cdx grade,and they are wonderful hives...JOHN

#3 ·
I have all of my screened bottom board made from red cedar. The university of tn also uses red cedar but does not paint thiers. My bottom boards are a different design that uses three pieces of 5/4 x 2 cedar and a 1 x 6 porchmade from pine . The slider is made from very thin birch plywood paneling. Hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.