Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: nails

Smile

Here is a thought/question for those of you who build all yourselves:
    What is wrong with using 1x10" boards to build the deep hive boxes? The only problem I can see would be the incompatibility with stuff you need to buy. But if someone is making boxes and frames, the only thing that one has to do is to make the frames also a tad less tall (3/8" to be exact since the specs for a deep call for 9-5/8" and a 1x10" board is 9-1/4"). Today I checked at Home Depot and #2 pine boards 1x10x10 run at $11, while the same #2 pine but 1x12x10 boards run at $16. In other words, one would be throwing away 5 bucks for every 10ft of lumber used to gain 3/8" in depth.
    Please somebody tell me if the sligtly less tall deep hive would create a problem that I don't see. Otherwise, it seems to me that keeping deeps at 9-5/8" cn be thought of as just a scam buy the lumber industry to make us waste 1/3 of the dollars and a strip of almost 2" wide and 10ft long for every 10 feet of lumber that go into making deep hives.
    Note: one still needs to buy the foundation, but scisors will take care of the 3/8" at the bottom and you can use the wax for something else.

Jorge

>What is wrong with using 1x10" boards to build the deep hive boxes? The only problem I can see would be the incompatibility with stuff you need to buy. But if someone is making boxes and frames, the only thing that one has to do is to make the frames also a tad less tall (3/8" to be exact since the specs for a deep call for 9-5/8" and a 1x10" board is 9-1/4"). Today I checked at Home Depot and #2 pine boards 1x10x10 run at $11, while the same #2 pine but 1x12x10 boards run at $16. In other words, one would be throwing away 5 bucks for every 10ft of lumber used to gain 3/8" in depth.

The reason I don't is incompatibility with the frames. I'd have to make all my own frames or at least rework all of the sides pieces. I think the reason it comes out this way is because when Lanstroth came up with the diminsions a 1 x10 was 9 5/8". But, alas, now it is now only 9 1/4".

>Please somebody tell me if the sligtly less tall deep hive would create a problem that I don't see. Otherwise, it seems to me that keeping deeps at 9-5/8" cn be thought of as just a scam buy the lumber industry to make us waste 1/3 of the dollars and a strip of almost 2" wide and 10ft long for every 10 feet of lumber that go into making deep hives.

Not other than what you have mentioned and another size of box around. You have to cut the ends of each frame you buy and the bottom of each sheet of foundation you buy.

I have been tempted to do it, but have not done it.

If you have a table saw and tools to do it easily you could take a 2" x 2" and notch it to overlap the 1 x 10 on the bottom and cut the frame rabbet in the top and leave the 3/8" in the middle so it makes a handle and makes the frame rest. Of course you can't put a regular lid on it and will have to make your own.

I just use the piece I rip off of the 1 x 12s as the handle on my hives.

Jorge, just add a 3/8" piece to the bottom of the box all the way around. I have some boxes that are getting rough on the edges and I just run them through the table saw and glue a piece on whatever I need. Works great. Darrell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12