Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hive Color

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  specialtyhoney@aol.com 
#1 ·
Forgot to add this to last post.What color do I paint my hives? I've always used white(isn't that the color a hive is supposed to be?),but heard a suggestion to use dark colors in the north(I'm zone 5).I actually saw two black hives in RI last year but unless completely shaded ,they must get really hot(think solar wax melter) any suggestions.

#2 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jack Grimshaw:
Forgot to add this to last post.What color do I paint my hives? I've always used white(isn't that the color a hive is supposed to be?),but heard a suggestion to use dark colors in the north(I'm zone 5).I actually saw two black hives in RI last year but unless completely shaded ,they must get really hot(think solar wax melter) any suggestions.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I prime with an outdoor latex primer and use a light tinted latex outdoor paint. A few of my hives get full central Virginia sun all day. I keep the telescoping cover propped up in the front for ventilation. Foundation sometimes sags a bit, but I've had no serious problems...

#3 ·
Hi Jack,

White's a nice color. However any color will work (never used black!). If you keep hives in out yards using colors that blend in such as green,gray,ect. can help reduce vandalism. Some drifting can be reduced by using different colors. Even better is to have hives facing different direcions if possible. I wouldn't recommend black paint. Just make sure you ventilate you hives in summer.

Clay

G
#4 ·
Hello all, where I live here in Utah vally it seems the local beekeepers like the lighter colors. I see light green, lavender, and yellow, and yes, white. Since mine are in my backyard, I've painted mine to match the trim on my house, light blue.
When I told my uncle in Cali, he laughed at me! White is fine, but a little variety never hurt, and I don't think the bees mind.

#5 ·
Howdy,
According to what I've read the only colors that we can see as well as the bees are, white, yellow, blue. Red is seen by bees as black and white is many different colors as bees also see in the UV range beyond human capability. I have started painting my hives white, yellow, blue, in very light shades and have experianced a decided drop in drifting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.