Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Equipment Plans

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Clayton 
#1 ·
I'd like to compliment this site (and Barrie's older site)on the equipment plans.Having some spare time,tools and free pallet wood,I completed a few projects these past two years.
box joint jig-works good although a little dificult to set up at first. built a few supers.Nice joints but if I put much value on my time its cheaper to buy.Humble Abodes,Windsor,Me.has a great price and acceptable quality for commercial grade.
solar wax melter-Used 2"foam insulation,large enough for an excluder.Can't wait to try it.
Screened bottom board- Had trouble finding #8 screening but finally found a partial roll.I used 1/2" Arrow staples to attach but I'm unhappy with the results.I plan on building a few more and will cut a groove 1/8"x1/4"deep aprox.1" away from hole and insert a rubber spline to hold screen (similar to an old wooden window sreen or screen door)

Thanks again

I would be interested in hearing other's experiences in constructing their own equipment.I'mthinking of building some nuc boxes next.Anyone with suggestions on sizes please respond.I plan on trying my hand at raising a few queens and 5 frames seems a bit big. Jack

#2 ·
Hi Jack,

I would recommend five frame nuc boxes. At the smallest Use four frame boxes but know smaller. Since you live in the north you should learn to over winter nuc's to have young queens in the spring or to start new colonies if that is your desire. Five frames gives you that extra frame for queens to lay or for honey to winter on. If you want just four frames just put a division board feeder in, now you have four frames.

Clay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.