Thread: wiring board

Okay, time to get this one going and I'll start.

I'm getting my shop cleaned up and ready to start milling woodenware for next season. I'll be making new frames (which Dee has tried to explain to me once how they make them) and then wire them up for foundation. When I wired my last batch of frames, I kept fighting the spool of wire. Enough of that. I want to make a jig for holding the wire and would like to know if anyone has made one and what design you used.

-Barry

Barry:

I hear you still want to make a wire jig to hold a spool of wire for wiring frames, with a continuous line to put current to, to embed all wires at once.

It's really not that hard. Here's what you do!

Supplies to gather:

2 x 4 approx 8 inches long, 2 pieces of 1 x 3 approx 8 inches long with one end rounded, 6 drywall screws about 2 inches long, a five pound spool of wire (since I hear you will be wiring a lot),a 3/8 inch wide x 5 1/2 - 6 inch long carriage bolt w/nut, 2 drywall screws about 3/4 inch long,piece of bendable sheet metal about 1 3/4 inches wide x 4 inches long and 1 eye-loop screw (liked used to put a eye-hook in for screen doors).

Assembly:

Taking the 2 x4, lay it down and center the width of the 1 x 3 pieces on each side of it,flush to the table you are working on, equal distance from the ends, with the curved length ends sticking up.

Mount the 1 x 3 pieces of wood with 3 drywall 2 inch screws on each piece to the 2 x 4.

Then take the spool of wire and holding it about 1/4 inch off of the 2 x 4, inbetween the attached upright 1 x 3s now, mark in the center of the width on the 1 x 3s a hole to drill in alignment for the spool of wire. Then drill a hole in the 1 x 3s attached on each side of the 2 x 4. Then feed the carriage bolt thru the 1 x 3 on one side, thru the spool of wire, then thru the remaining 1 x 3 on the other side of the 2 x 4, so when the bolt comes out the other side you can attach the screw to hold the spool of wire into place, mounted 1/4 inch above the 2 x 4.

Then take the bendable piece of sheetmetal and position it underneath the spool of wire centered, and secure it into place with the remaining screws. Bend it up so it rubs against the spool of wire with reasonable firmness.

Then take the eye-hook screw and fasten it on the end of the 2 x 4 extending out from the position of where the sheetmetal end is bent up and rubbing against the spool of wire and feed the wire through the eye hook.

Then to wire, all you do is pull and wrap and tie and cut. The metal piece of sheetmetal will keep the spool of wire from unwinding. The frame(jig) made will hold the wire so it rotates. All you need do is fasten it to the workbench you are working on with a simple 'C' clamp and work.

I hope this is understandable for your Barry and solves your problem for wiring frames without your spool of wire unwinding.

Regards:

Dee